• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 804a

Well, I fired up my generator and it runs great! Unfortunately every time I try to engage the power I get a short circuit light. Any ideas are welcome. Yes I do have all the TMs and plan to research the problem tomorrow. Just sharing and open to any answers as to what's going on. I posted a short video on YouTube @CaptainRayPaul. Thanks in advance. Cap'n

I hope you have the set grounded.

Here is what I saw. Engine starts well. BUT, the gen set never showed any voltage on the AC meter. Not even initial excitation. And you held the S1 up long enough to excite the main gen IF it could be excited. So, do you have a multi meter and know how to use it?
Aww bugger me, no its not grounded! Rookie mistake! Yes I have a fluk and know how to use it (somewhat) lol

Guyfang

Staff member
I also saw that your hertz meter moved. Normally it will not read without ACV. So here is where you start if you can use a DMM.

1. set the DMM to AC voltage. Stick the two prongs into the 120 volt outlet. Turn on the set. What say the DMM? Do you have 120 volts AC?

If so, then the gen set meter is not reading right, or the S6 is in the wrong place. I can see the knob for S6 is missing.
If not, then the main gen is not getting excited. Open the control panel and see if you have the quad mod installed. The quad mod protects the exciter in the main gen. The mod installs a large fuse next to, on the left side, of the A1, ( Volt regulator) If the fuse is there pull it out and test it with ohms reading on the DMM. If you cant find the quad mod, take a picture of the inside of the control panel.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you have the set grounded.

Here is what I saw. Engine starts well. BUT, the gen set never showed any voltage on the AC meter. Not even initial excitation. And you held the S1 up long enough to excite the main gen IF it could be excited. So, do you have a multi meter and know how to use it?

IMG_0044.jpeg
@Guyfang he has some voltage and frequency is showing

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also saw that your hertz meter moved. Normally it will not read without ACV. So here is where you start if you can use a DMM.

1. set the DMM to AC voltage. Stick the two prongs into the 120 volt outlet. Turn on the set. What say the DMM? Do you have 120 volts AC?

If so, then the gen set meter is not reading right, or the S6 is in the wrong place. I can see the knob for S6 is missing.
If not, then the main gen is not getting excited. Open the control panel and see if you have the quad mod installed. The quad mod protects the exciter in the main gen. The mod installs a large fuse next to, on the left side, of the A1, ( Volt regulator) If the fuse is there pull it out and test it with ohms reading on the DMM. If you cant find the quad mod, take a picture of the inside of the control panel.
@Guyfang yeap S6 is missing
Frequency recovers when circuit interrupt is released

I
View attachment 920005
@Guyfang he has some voltage and frequency is showing
I do not have the mod. I have ordered it but not received it yet. I have also got the s6 knob on order. I tested the 120 receptacle and got nothing, also tested all of the power lugs for any voltage. Got nothing. Also I'm switched to 60hz and am only getting around 50 on the gage with the knob maxed out. When I first started the generator I had 60hz. After I engaged the power switch, and got the short circuit falt, now only get 50hz.

Attachments

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I
I do not have the mod. I have ordered it but not received it yet. I have also got the s6 knob on order. I tested the 120 receptacle and got nothing, also tested all of the power lugs for any voltage. Got nothing. Also I'm switched to 60hz and am only getting around 50 on the gage with the knob maxed out. When I first started the generator I had 60hz. After I engaged the power switch, and got the short circuit falt, now only get 50hz.
Have you checked the gfci next to the convenience receptacle and see if you can reset it?

Guyfang

Staff member
Good, you are in this. I did not enlarge the screen enough. That was the next suggestion. The GFI, (Ground Fault Interupter) right behind your DMM.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Captain Ray Paul would you be so kind and open the doors to the left and right of Genset and take clear pictures of each compartment? We also would like to see a closeup of the reconnection board and the K1 contactor terminals

Guyfang

Staff member
Thats what it looks like to me. Work backwards from the load terminals to the input side to the K1, and then see if the TB1 has been fooled with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks