• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 804B suddenly cranks but won't start

primuss

9/2011 39 hours on this unit. Got all the filters changed, fuel and oil drained, batteries charged. Two weeks ago it started up and idled fine 3 different times. Never hooked up a load, just tinkering after the filter changes. Ordered a MOD to put in place between terminals 10-11. MOD showed up this week so I installed it today. Now unit cranks but will not start. Opened bleeder on fuel/water and got plenty of fuel squirting out on prime. I've been reading the TM's and on here. TM's have you start in on the fuel feed pump, injection pump timing etc. Most things I've found here say the MPU is usually the culprit. Is that a good place to start? Or should I go through the TM troubleshooting section by section? I did take the MOD off and still had crank but no start. I also checked the quad fuse and it is still reading continuity on the multimeter.

primuss

I found a set of instructions Guyfang had posted on testing the A-5 and it talks about doing a resistance and VAC check on the A-5. It says A models at the top, but I know I read somewhere the B models use the same A-5. Does anyone know if the testing holds up?

Attachments

primuss

Never mind, I'm a dipstick. I went out this morning and let it prime for over a minute, hit the preheat because it was a little chilly, and she fired right up. Let it come up to temp and shut it down. Maybe I've got a small leak in the fuel system and it's loosing prime. I'll just keep and eye on it.

robertsears1

My 804a once quit starting and the MPU had picked up some debris. My 804b always starts right up. Make sure to hold the switch in start until the oil pressure comes up as it says in the plackard under the control lid. The 804b has that loop that catches the left corner of the lid open on top. The 804a has the holes also but no loop. Curious why you bought an 804, you need 3 phase power for some equipment? It is not selectable for 240v single phase like the 802 or 803 are.

primuss

TLDR I bought it cause I could. :p now I'm off to find a spot to hide stuff so She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO since this a military geared forum) doesn't catch on to how expensive my new little hobby actually is.

Last edited:

robertsears1

I have put around 800 hours on my 804b running my FDECU-5 (field deployable environmental control unit) which is a 5 ton heat pump. It pulls up to 60 amps per phase at 208v and can load mine to 80%. It also has two heaters of 5 KW each that can be selected in the maintenance mode. The inrush of current is fierce when the compressor comes on and will sometimes kick the short light. I have 5 now for some reason and two were never put into service. They use 134a and for some reason, they removed the freon when I got it from Ft Bragg (are we allowed to still say that) back in the good old GL days. I bought some for around $120.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks