• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804B w. Yanmar motor

AKAustria

Good day fellow SteelSoldiers!

I came in possession (auction) of a MEP-804B generator, including the massive trailer that it is moved with. The motor however, was taken apart almost completely.
I was after the trailer at first, but now, looking at this unit, I have a hard time to scrap it for metal.
Hour meter: 153.9
Year of manufacturing: 2010
State of generator: motor completely taken apart and tossed back inside the gen housing
State of electric components: all in tact, except prime/start switch has been removed (still inside), two relays have been pulled, also still there
Overall conditions: pretty good really

I decided to make this a project for my boy (19) and I, and he has been studying the TM's like a mad man. We only found one manual here (SS), that looked like it was the right one, but soon came to realize it is for the JohnDeere engine model, not the Yanmar.

I did find the TM for the Yanmar version, but it is only 301 pages and definitely lacks some more details, like the one for the John Deere version.

It would be a shame to scrap it, and I am willing to invest 1-2k bucks if it makes it a working, reliable unit for our house as a power backup.

The engine rebuilt kit is $539, which I am willing to buy if we can rule out serious engine issues. It turns over, hand and via starter (cylinder head removed). So that's a good start.
Fuel injector pump has seen better days and rebuilding it is definitely a must.

Any recommendations or thoughts on the electrical side?
Are there known issues with these units on the electrical side that make a rebuild not feasible?

Thank you all for inputs!

~Andy

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member

All the TM's you need are here.

There are no real show stoppers with the engine. It has a good rep. Of course, dont know why anyone tore this engine up. But sounds like someone started and could not finish the job.

AKAustria

All the TM's you need are here.

There are no real show stoppers with the engine. It has a good rep. Of course, dont know why anyone tore this engine up. But sounds like someone started and could not finish the job.
EXCELLENT! I have been at that specific spot on the forum, but didn't realize that there are multiple links. 🙃
Thank you for pointing me back to it. I got them all now!

Good to hear it has a good rep. I/We are even more excited now to make this generator work again!!!

It appears that you are very much involved and knowledgable when it comes to these units, and very quick in responding on here.
Thank you for being such a great and valuable resource sir!

~Andy

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We tried yanmar engines on our 22k gensets in 2015 and every one of these things blew so much raw fuel emissions out ! For the first time useing these instead of KUBOTA gens was a great mistake everyone complained while outside of the bus their eyes burned and they all are tuned to 1800 rpms for 60 hz I hope they fixed that problem and at the time JOHN DEERE were using yanmar on their stuff under 50 hp i hope they came with a gas mask !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks