• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 805A 30k

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good morning
I am new to forums as far as actually posting anything so up for chastisement for any wrong doing, and new to the newly purchased 805A generator.
I bought it not running due to sitting for a couple of years and had various easy fixes such as draining all fluids and changing them, new batteries etc.. actually had to pull fuel pump off because of fuel gumming up everything. All in all she is up and running like a fat cat!
But… she will not crank on the switch board Master switch if I turn it to “Prime&Run nothing seems to happen and switch to start nothing happens except I hear very small click up by starter or fuel pump area haven’t had second person here to confirm exact spot. I checked the K2 relay and have volts on top side but nothing happens on x1 when switch is turned. I would assume that K2 is bad because it’s seems all is well between S1 and K2. I have been reading in this forum for a couple of days trying to find my problem and trying different things which have been posted but coming up short because here is the kicker if you turn the Master switch to “Prime&Run AUX fuel” she cranks and runs like a top everything checks out on gauges except the battery charger gauge shows running on discharge side while running and my new batteries are run down even when I had dead crank switch in off position. Once the machine is running and switch to “Prime and Run” it kills it. It will not run on deadman switch unless the switch is in “Prime&Run AUX fuel”. I live between Pensacola, Fl and Mobile, Al and would be curious if anyone new of a local mechanic that knows these machines in and out or does anyone have any ideas.
There were a couple of things questionable when I got the generator
1st a couple of wires were chewed but were not fully cut and easily fixed combed the whole machine for more damage took panels off but all seems well.
2nd the governor was zipped tied pulled out 🤷‍♂️
but it seems to work now back to normal.
The owner has told me several times he doesn’t remember anything wrong with it and doesn’t remember any zip ties on governor. Would have ran it for about 800 hrs 2 ye

Can someone tell me which parts to start slinging at this gremlin I’m willing to buy extra parts if anyone is saleing parts for these machines for standby parts I live in hurricane alley and am the last to get power when it hits the fan so need this machine in combat ready state!

thanks for your time, Moondog aka Rusty

Attachments

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will hear it here sooner or later, but have you downloaded and read the TM for your 805? I know it sounds like an internet cop-out, but those manuals are really good at diagnosing normal issues. That said, you mentioned you have voltage to the K2 relay. I assume that is power to the contactor side, but are you getting power to the coil side when you crank? It is not uncommon for the contactors or switches to stick when they sit for a long period of time.

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will hear it here sooner or later, but have you downloaded and read the TM for your 805? I know it sounds like an internet cop-out, but those manuals are really good at diagnosing normal issues. That said, you mentioned you have voltage to the K2 relay. I assume that is power to the contactor side, but are you getting power to the coil side when you crank? It is not uncommon for the contactors or switches to stick when they sit for a long period of time.
Thanks for your response! I have been digging in manual online but want to order or c
Thanks for your response!
I have been digging thru online manual but I need to just print off or buy them! Still trying to find my way thru them I’m better at pictures 😂 at any rate I will show my stupidity by saying not sure which side is which on relay but will check it out. A question I have is the unit supposed to be able to crank and run on the AUX side of things it seems like in manual that is only for if your using a Aux fuel source nothing to do with cranking the unit. Is that what your suggestion is that maybe the master switch is stuck I will take off and see what I can do. Thanks again.
Is there a place I can order all the manuals vs trying to print them?

Guyfang

Staff member
There is only one start position on the S1 switch. When it starts, and you let go, it springs back, (or is superposed to) in the PRIME & RUN Position. You can then turn it to the PRIME & Run Aux position, if running on a aux fuel source. So, you are trying to start the set, in positions that have nothing to do with starting.

Guyfang

Staff member
Good morning
I am new to forums as far as actually posting anything so up for chastisement for any wrong doing, and new to the newly purchased 805A generator.
I bought it not running due to sitting for a couple of years and had various easy fixes such as draining all fluids and changing them, new batteries etc.. actually had to pull fuel pump off because of fuel gumming up everything. All in all she is up and running like a fat cat!
But… she will not crank on the switch board Master switch, (S1?) if I turn it to “Prime&Run nothing seems to happen, (Because nothing is supposed to happen) and switch to start nothing happens, (And it should start) except I hear very small click up by starter or fuel pump area haven’t had second person here to confirm exact spot. I checked the K2 relay and have volts on top side but nothing happens on x1 when switch is turned. (Is the S10, Dead crank switch in the normal position?) I would assume (Assuming will bite you in the butt. test, know) that K2 is bad because it’s seems all is well between S1 and K2. (How do you know? What have you tested) I have been reading in this forum for a couple of days trying to find my problem and trying different things which have been posted but coming up short because here is the kicker if you turn the Master switch to “Prime&Run AUX fuel” she cranks and runs, (This should not happen) like a top everything checks out on gauges except the battery charger gauge shows running on discharge side while running and my new batteries are run down, (Is the FU1 fuse in the control panel good, or even there?) even when I had dead crank switch in off position. (In the off position, the set will not start ) Once the machine is running and switch to “Prime and Run” it kills it. It will not run on deadman switch (It should not run from the S10) unless the switch is in “Prime&Run AUX fuel”. I live between Pensacola, Fl and Mobile, Al and would be curious if anyone new of a local mechanic that knows these machines in and out or does anyone have any ideas. (You need to read the operators TM and understand what and how this set works)
There were a couple of things questionable when I got the generator
1st a couple of wires were chewed but were not fully cut and easily fixed combed the whole machine for more damage took panels off but all seems well.
2nd the governor was zipped tied pulled out 🤷‍♂️
but it seems to work now back to normal.
The owner has told me several times he doesn’t remember anything wrong with it and doesn’t remember any zip ties on governor. Would have ran it for about 800 hrs 2 ye

Can someone tell me which parts to start slinging at this gremlin I’m willing to buy extra parts if anyone is saleing parts for these machines for standby parts I live in hurricane alley and am the last to get power when it hits the fan so need this machine in combat ready state!

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well after Digger556 suggested stuck switch or relay I went down a rabbit hole! Started with the switch, and after about several hours and looking thru this forum I came to the realization that even tho the previous owner denies any work being done to it and was running well last time used, I think he must not remember because someone wired a new switch in and put wires all in wrong place which caused a multitude of other problems. I think that’s why the governor was zipped tied when I got it.
My problem now is I must have over speed the generator in all my testing and caused the Problem with my AC regulator or something down that line because now I don’t have any volts. So probably start with buying a new AC voltage regulator unless someone has a thought on it being something else. Still trying to learn the manual troubleshooting part.

thanks for anyone response, sarcasm or support. I’m learning that I can tare something up 3 times and get it fixed vs take it to someone and they charge me a arm and leg and it’s a hack job welcome to 2023.
If anyone has a manual for this I’ll buy it from them or I got to cut 2-3 trees down and print this thing off
Also any advice on where to buy parts in the south East I live near Pensacola and Mobile