• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-805A flash field trouble!

ROTZINGER

Hey guys!
I have some trouble with the good old mep805A again!
So we just got hit buy a tropical storm here in Cancun, Mexico and everithing is wet and dirty. Yesterday after the storm gave a little, I went to the genset room to turn it on (some rain and wind came in through the windows but nothing too bad, humidity was 100% though) and it did fire up but I wasnt able to get the contactor to go to the close position till it ran for at least 30min and was all nice and hot, the reverse fault light would go on and the close switch would do nothing. After 30min or so of operation, once it was hot and dry i guess everithing went back to normal and we used it for 10hr straight @10-20% power with no issue. This morning I needed to power it up again was another story: since I got this genset, once the engine is running it wont go into flash filed by itselfe, you need to give the start switch a quick turn to start and let go back to prime and run for the Htz to flip from 40something to 60htz, then the genset will start dancing like it should. this morning, the engine fired up like usual but it reved a little less than usual which seemed odd, and once I fliked the start switch to start and back to prime and run the htz indicator jumps form 40htz to 57htz and then back to 40htz. Voltage will go to 220V and then back to 20 or something. Oviously undervoltage fault is on but strangely enough, if you keep the strat switch on start position, htz go to 60, voltage to 220 and you can get the fault to go away and the contactor to close and everithing works "normaly", when you release the start switch it all goes back to hell.
Thanks a lot!
Rotzinger

MrShawn305

When you go to start the unit, after then engine has fired, do you release the start switch? Or do you hold it for a few seconds? My understanding is that you're supposed to hold it in the start position for up to 5 seconds or so to flash the field on startup and all of that.

ROTZINGER

When you go to start the unit, after then engine has fired, do you release the start switch? Or do you hold it for a few seconds? My understanding is that you're supposed to hold it in the start position for up to 5 seconds or so to flash the field on startup and all of that.
Hey Mr shawn!
I tried just now and it makes no difference...

Enviado desde mi SM-G935F mediante Tapatalk

MrShawn305

I think your frequency meter is messed up. The one on my 802A is bad too. Do you have a multimeter with a hertz function on it? You need to check voltages and freq at the convenience outlets with one to see where we're at.

ROTZINGER

Hey so I just checked, I have 18.5v and 60.33hz on the convenience outlet, if you move the hz adjustment knob it will move the engine speed and the reading in the multimeter as it should. Just as additional info, while the multimeter says 60.33hz, the indicator reads 48hz
Thanks!

Guyfang

Staff member
When you trurn on the set, hold S1 longer, as stated above. That gives the set inital excitation. That all works right. Your problem is that the AC volt regulator is not takeing over for what ever reason. so when ever you let S1 go, the show ends. Have you followed the troubleshooting guide?

Guyfang

Staff member
Hey so I just checked, I have 18.5v and 60.33hz on the convenience outlet, if you move the hz adjustment knob it will move the engine speed and the reading in the multimeter as it should. Just as additional info, while the multimeter says 60.33hz, the indicator reads 48hz
Thanks!

The reason you have 18.5 volts is because that excitation voltage, nothing more.

ROTZINGER

Hey guys!
I am starting right now with the troubleshooting on the AC voltage regulator. We have a cat4 hurricane hitting tonight so I better fix this shit ASAP!
This is gonna be a fun day!
Rotzinger

MrShawn305

Also, I have an 805B, not sure if they share the same voltage regulator and all of that but I can send pics or take readings on mine should you need something to compare to. But my guess is the TM's have all you'll need

ROTZINGER

Dang! Well, keep us updated. We'll do what we can to help out
Hey guys! so the hurricane wasn’t that bad, it hit north so we didn’t get too messed up but still all day of cutting broken trees and fallen leafs, fun! And I did manage to fix the MEP, I did the ac regulator troubleshooting and it indeed was defective. Luckily I had another one in storage so I was able to get the MEP running right when power was cut. The strange thing is that the regulator I had in storage was changed 2 years ago on this MEP because we thought it was bad, brought a new one from the states and it turned out to be the governor. Well this "NEW" regulator was the one that failed and i just changed it to the original one, my question is: do this fail often? what can make them die? and also can they get fixed?

Also I was reading about the quad fuse and that the MEP805A can get irreparable damage if it doesn’t have it. How do I know if it has quad fuse?
Thanks for everything guys!

Rotzinger

ROTZINGER

Thanks for the info! I'll install it asap.
Also, is it normal for the fuel gauge to stay where it was when you turn the gender off?
Thanks!
BR

ROTZINGER

Oh ok, I'll run troubleshooting again in the sender unit because ohm measurements where jumping all over the place and I couldn't get a conclusive test...
Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks