• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 805A Libby Voltage Reg. Retrofit

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If TRC then you need a RCR32G1R0JS 5905-01-177-2816 resistor.
Nothing special. It's just a 1 Ohm 1 Watt 5% tolerance resistor.
You can use one of these for R16. Resistor ---> Resistor

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks
Not sure if mine is bad or not it it reads 3.3 Olhms so just figured while I’m in there I’ll replace it.
Still digging in TM for test procedures

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if mine is bad or not it it reads 3.3 Ohms
Meters have issues measuring really low resistances like that.
Try this. Touch the two meter probes together and read the resistance. Make note of it. Then re-measure the resistor. Now take the resistor resistance reading and subtract the reading with the two meter probes. This will be closer to the resistors resistance.

Guyfang

Staff member
Not sure if mine is bad or not it it reads 3.3 Olhms so just figured while I’m in there I’ll replace it.
Why would you want to change a part out, unless its bad?

Pretty sure mine is TRC
This is not even close enough. You have to KNOW, R16 and ALL the other parts to the VR system are one, or the other manufacturer.

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well assuming is definitely a dumb way of going about it. I was under the assumption because it didn’t say Libby on it. So I assumed that it must be TRC but is there a specific way or part # or other way of truly knowing what system I have?
The Model number on the voltage regulator is 122-3055 in which I googled and it looks the same but has Libby written on it?
Is 3.3 olhms on the resistor good or bad?

I also want to confess that I am a uTube mechanic! No I am not on uTube I just watch other videos on how to and inspire to fix my problems myself because at 40 years old I came to the realization that life is nothing but do it yourself project!! or find the right mechanic which in this case is hard to find! So I just replace parts and try to getting lucky. Because of the complexity and lack of peaple that even understand the military version even including my local generator dealer which is what we use for are Tug and ship gen sets seem to be clueless with these machines which leads to the question why on earth did you buy it 🤷‍♂️. Well I trusted my neighbor and he was a good salesman and ya! That’s all I’ll say!!
So all that said “Steel Soldier” is the only place I find answers and I know from experience and in my industry in which old school rules I am a bother with my stupid questions and lack of due diligence to read the TM. So I just been replacing parts to keep my questions to a minimum. That’s kinda a long answer but do want to say thanks for yalls time and support. I will gladly donate to a cause if steered in the right direction.

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am sorry if I over looked those documents, I did not see them earlier. Thanks for the information.

I am new to understanding olhms but I am assuming and by what I find online 3.3 on my meter means 3k olhms in which would mean my resistor is ok.

It does appear that I was wrong and my voltage regulator is a Libby but does give me inspiration to double check everything else just in case they replaced parts with other components that are not compatible.

I also took the frequency switch out and checked the wires and they all where connected like the diagram you sent earlier, So now my problem is obviously deeper

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone bought and retrofitted a MEP 805A generator from TRC to Libby with a Libby retrofit kit.
there is one on eBay and been having problems with my hertz jumping around won’t stay on 60 just jumps back to 50 not sure what all needs to be changed but I’m in the mood to throw every part known to mankind at this thing to get it running smoothly!
I seen somewhere but can’t find it again that Libby is a better system so just figured while I was chasing generator issues I would change it out just in case 🤷‍♂️ I’ll send picture of the one on ebay
Why are we looking at the Voltage Regulator if your problem is Frequency?

The Frequency the generator puts out is directional proportional to the engine RPM
60 Hz = 1800 RPM
50 Hz = 1500 RPM

This is controlled / regulated by the governor controller A5

I would check the Magnetic Pickup Sensor on the flywheel bell housing first.

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well to answer why I was wanting to change it.. in my slumber of assuming it was the TRC I had read that those gave more problems than the Libby, and this machine has been a wild ride for me and Guyfang has truly helped me more than he probably realizes, largely by asking me what on earth am I doing and sending bits of information which has helped me find certain problems that was some self inflicted but mostly somone has tried working on this machine before I bought it. I was thinking if I changed out everything that was a problem child good or bad at some point I hoped to have solved all the problems and have something that was reliable or I could at least sale.
The Voltage Regulator change was a ditch effort of frustration!!! In which I realize now that I need to stop shooting bird shot at this thing and get focused on chasing individual problems!

I will reset everything back on the A-5 to where it was and check the sensor on flywheel. Also the part Guyfang suggested I will research and install asap if you know of place to buy one I would gladly except references.

I went to town and had the local print shop print me out every manual I could find for the unit and made Manual books so I at least can try and find things versus work off my phone any manual information or other things Yall have I would appreciate very much.

Here is a list of things of what as aspired since bought!
1. Was told the machine was running great and had no issues but had been sitting for 2 years.
2. I drained all fluids ,oil, diesel ect… everything was gummed up so had to take fuel pump off and go through it plus for safety sake check all the injectors in case they were stuck and got the girl to crank and run like a top!
3. But if you can find my first post the only way to crank was by deadman switch and I had found in the beginning a zip tie on the governor by the fuel pump. In which I asked the previous owner what was for and got told he never did anything with it🤷‍♂️
But when I cut if off and cranked it up it overspeed and caused a list of rabbit holes of chasing things and then found somone had wired the start switch wrong and between all that Guyfang helped me diagnosis a laundry list of other things that I’m not sure was from me overspending the Gen set or what but got everything fixed and now it’s the frequency issue in which I’m wandering if it’s what was a original problem and they just zipped tied the governor to run a certain speed to get the rpm they needed🤷‍♂️ I am strictly guessing because I have called several times and only get the answer it was running great. I’m not sure how because you could not even crank it with S1.

At any rate thanks again for yalls support and suggestions they have helped jar ideas and gave me inspiration to get this girl working. I truly want to accomplish getting her running just for my self esteem!
I been a sailor most of my life and went wheel house instead of Eng. Room but older I get the more I’m enjoying working on projects just this one being electric is a bit of a sharp learning curve! Gas and diesel engines make more sense to me.

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good evening
I am trying to read and reread everything you all sent me plus dig thru the T.Ms my first question i.
1. Do I have the correct TM for the Generator I have with the Libby Voltage regulator system I’ll send pictures of my TMs
2. I have heard several times don’t mix match parts big no no but have noticed that there are TRC parts on this machine such as the frequency transducer and the rest of the A #s
3. To clear some confusion up I had read something guyfang had posted back in 2017 about changing from Libby to TRC and posted the parts list in which you did again on this chat so I had some memory of that but had them confused! I did check those parts and the 4 things seem to match up with Libby parts but it’s the other A7 and down I noticed had TRC on them.
4. I again went and plundered thru what guyfang sent and in my manual and tried to check everything S12 switch to the R19 and like I said I’m in a learning curve with olhms and how just to make sure I was checking everything correctly I just ordered a new switch and R19 in which they olhms out to my old switch so that 100% rules out that.
So I went to the A5 process page guyfang sent and started testing that and this is my results…
S12 on 60hz read on #1 20.1v on #3 23.2v on #19 20.1v when I would turn the s1 to start.
I remembered reading somewhere that if you don’t have true 24v the machine can act up but everything works fine on 50hz but I hooked up chargers to batteries which are only a year old and tried seeing if that made a difference I got the volts to come up some so I decided to crank the generator on 60hz and see what happens and it read 24v+ and strange enough if I had my volt meter tab touching #1 it would run the machine up to the rpm needed for 60hz but as soon as I take the tester off it drops down to rpm and to 50hz touch it again on #1 and goes back up.
So I stopped before I blew something up and am a bit lost on where to dig in the manual for such a case as this. It seems like maybe me touching it gives it whatever I needs but not sure what that is 🤷‍♂️.
I feel like I’m close to the gremlin but a bit lost.
Any ideas I truly appreciate!!
I will attach some pictures

Attachments

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Capt.Moondog could you please confirm, that you understand that Voltage Regulator controls the output voltage and that Frequency is controlled solely by the governor controller?

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes sir I do to an extent. I’m guess you ask that because of my question about the different parts.
I do realize that the frequency is separate from the voltage but was just double checking on if it made a difference with them being separate in the terms of manufacture. Namely I’m not sure if the previous owner has changed out parts for the wrong ones.
And so I am unfamiliar with if that was the case if it would cause problems elsewhere.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes sir I do to an extent. I’m guess you ask that because of my question about the different parts.
I do realize that the frequency is separate from the voltage but was just double checking on if it made a difference with them being separate in the terms of manufacture. Namely I’m not sure if the previous owner has changed out parts for the wrong ones.
And so I am unfamiliar with if that was the case if it would cause problems elsewhere.
@Capt.Moondog
In your first post on this thread, which is post #1, you wrote:

“Has anyone bought and retrofitted a MEP 805A generator from TRC to Libby with a Libby retrofit kit.
there is one on eBay and been having problems with my hertz jumping around won’t stay on 60 just jumps back to 50 not sure what all needs to be changed but I’m in…….”

A jumping frequency has nothing to do with the voltage regulator(s), regardless if you have a Libby VR or the TRC VR installed.

Frequency is proportional to the engine RPM
60Hz = 1800 RPM
50Hz = 1500 RPM

if your engine changes rpm, which would be audible and the load on Genset is the same, then you got a problem with your governor / governor control system

if your frequency gauge on the front panel bounces around, but the engine rpm is stable requiring having no load changes, then your frequency gauge or frequency transducer / converter has a problem.

The only time you would have a problem with any of the Voltage Regulators and their associated parts is when you have no, low, high, cannot be adjusted and fluctuating output voltage

Capt.Moondog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok thanks! I feel like I have the correct grasp on everything and appreciate the answer even if Yall probably have repeated them several times.
Yes I originally asked about the conversion and had it turned around from what I was reading earlier on which system to switch to if had problems with the voltage side of things
I probably should have started a new post or message with my new questions but continued here on this original thread or post whatever there called.

For the issue at hand the generator Volts nor Frequency fluctuates or jumps around. The generator works on 50hz and runs perfect running smoothly and produces electricity. I just can not get it to switch to 60hz. I have checked S12 and the components such as r19 and all seem to be fine. I have checked A5 and when the S12 is switched to 60hz it gives 20.1v to the #1 terminal on wire 154a which is on the switch of S12 my question is if there is not truly 24+v will it not allow the switch or A5 to work properly because strangely enough if I check A5 #1 with my multi meter when switch is in 60hz it runs the rpm up on generator and the hz go to 60 if I take my meter of it immediately goes back to 50hz with the rpm moving. I know that if you switch the S12 when the machine is running bad things can happen so trying to figure out if A5 is bad or just doesn’t have the correct amount of DC to it to switch it for 50 to 60 without it running. When the gen is running there is 24+v on terminal #1 on A5 but not when not running.
I’m trying to reread everything and see if I can find a scenario like this but haven’t found anything yet.
I sent a picture earlier of my TM making sure I’m digging in the right ones

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks