• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-805B CIM screen won't responded to keypad

capt777

I just bought 2 mep 805b's and got them home and all lubed up. Got the first on fired up and everything seems to be fine except the little cursor/arrow on the computer screen wont move. So, i get the second one fired up and and the cursor and keypad works just fine. Then the second time i fire it up it won't work. So, generator #1 keypad has never worked. Generator #2 I have started about 10 times and the keypad has worked twice and when it works it works fine and i can navigate through the different screens and all. So, I dont know if there is something im doing wrong in starting sequince or hardware/software issue. Does anyone know how the fix this? Thanks

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have personal experience with these so I'm sorry I won't be more helpful. From what I've read the main issue troubling the HMI of these units is moisture. Is there any signs of water damage?

capt777

Nothing obvious. both units are in very good condition. both screens are work well and are bright. But i plan on taking the keypads out and inspecting them today or tomorrow. Its weird how on gen. # 2 it works fine sometime then not at all.

capt777

UPDATE- So i took the CIM screen out set it on the bench and removed a few screws in the back of it, enough to just pry open the back to see if any water would come out. none come out it look's in fine shape. So i looked at the key pad wiring and noticed the power supply goes through a transformer where 24v goes in and 5v comes out then goes to the key pad. I check the voltage and got 5v, so its getting power. I took the keypad out and examined it. 2 wires in for power and 5 or 6 wires out that go to a 9 pin computer style connector that goes to the big fat printer style connector in the back of the CIM. so i disconnected that connection and the 2 connectors in the back of the CIM ( very wide printer style and one 9 pin computer style). I also noticed when I took the keypad off of the generator body that there were 2 flat metallic ribbon style grounding leads coming from the the keypad button area that were attached to two different screws that mount the keypad the the actual generator, and it seem to me that there was no way for these ends to get a ground because of the thick carc paint. So, i scratched the paint off with a screw driver were the screw touches the generator. Put every thing back together and now the left arrow and the down arrow and the select button work. So, that leads me to believe i have a hardware problem not a software problem. I also am thinking it was one of the 9 pin connectors not making good contact or those little grounding loops coming off the keypad. Maybe one is making contact now and the other still isnt. So, when i get more time I plan on going back in with some dielectric grease for the 9 pin connectors and to scrape a little more paint off the generators body..... I took pics. I can post later if needed

timmay66

Hello and good day to all . My name is Tim and I am new here to this site . Thank you for having me. This site is a wealth of information. I am a SOCOM Heavy Mech in Afghanistan with the US Special Forces. We have quite a few 805 Bravos on our camp . I asked our generator mechanic today if he has seen this problem before . And he said that he has seen this just last week on one of our generator sets . Our generator Mech said that it needs a new key pad . Our generator did the same thing you are going thru. I am going to another camp tomorrow that is close by. I know the people that work on that camps genies . I will see if I can reallocate govt property for you and score a key pad . I will keep you posted Capt777

Last edited:

capt777

Holy Cow ! Tim that would be awesome!
Thanks for the info and the reply. Thats probably why the military scraped these 2 seeing how they both have the same problem. Thanks again keep me posted.

Guyfang

Staff member
We also had this problem often. Stemmed from low battery voltage and not holding the start switch up long enough. Do not worry about grinding the starter, it is protected by the Magnetic Pickup. If it grinds, simply check/inspect the mag pickup.

If the battery charging alternator is not working, or the fuse is blown, (frequently happens! Or the New, MWO push/pull fuse is popped) then the screen/keypad can and will freeze. So check it out.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The small 9 pin connector only has 2 wires in it, it is for the CIM power. This is what the inside of the back cover of the CIM looks like. Both plugs go to the circuit board on the right.

IMG_0404[1].jpg

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
This is the version two, of the CIM. Version one, was black and white. The reliability of version one was low, and that's being kind. We had lots of problems with moisture. And lots of problems with the screen going blank. There was a way to adjust the screen to be able to read it again, but naturally it was a big "secret". Only CECOM Reps could be intrusted with this delicate and intricate operation.

It amounted to hooking up a push button switch to a connector, plugging in the connector to an input connector on the CIM and pressing the button repeatedly until the light came back on in the CIM. I forget which two pins had to be jumped on the connector. If anyone ever has that problem, I can try and find out the information.

But for the most part, it seemed to be low batteries, (DC voltage) that gave us the most problem with the CIM. Bad ribbon cables and incorrectly inserted plugs were the next bet.

As you can see, the Troubleshooting Diagram is not REAL helpful concerning this problem.

baxter462

Hello,

Did you ever find a resolution to this keypad issue? I have two MEP-805b generators, and one has a keypad that has intermittently inoperative left, down, and select keys (all the important ones). I took the keypad apart to clean and inspect all the connections, and with the hope that I would find a cracked solder joint on the circuit board, but everything looked fine. It is working fine since I put it back together, but I am sure it just a matter of time until it fails again.

I love these MEP-805b generators, but I am disappointed with how challenging/expensive it is to find non-engine related parts for them. I located a new keypad, but the $575 price is prohibitive. I'm tempted to get out an oscilloscope and figure out what signal/data is being sent from the keypad to the CIM with each keypress, and build a new replacement myself with an Arduino. If anyone has any technical data that would help with this process, please let me know. Thanks

capt777

No, unfortunately I have not. My gut tells me a grounding issue but others have with the same problem have suggested a problem with the controlling "brain box" . Big mystery it may be 2 things going on at once. Id be interested in hearing what you fine with that oscilloscope. Please Keep us posted...

baxter462

Hello,

Mine is an intermittently bad keypad for sure, as I have swapped them between generators and the problem follows the keypad. I am putting my plans to build an arduino based keypad on the back burner, because I found an entire used, very low hour control box, complete with color CIM with 4.1.1 software, keypad, switch panel, and all control modules for a really good price. Hopefully that'll be everything I need to keep my two generators going for a long time, at least until the 805b model is mainstream enough in the civilian market for parts to become readily available.

baxter462

Oh, and I forgot to mention in all my Google searching to find a replacement keypad for a reasonable price, I found what I'd describe as a technical service bulletin basically stating that there are known reliability problems with the keypad. It said to check the date code on the keypad, and if it was within a certain range (2011-2013 I think), then the keypad was eligible to be replaced for free. Neither of my keypads fall within that date range, and I'm not sure if they'd be eligible anyway since they're now civilian owned, but I did find it interesting.

Also, I contacted the manufacturer of the keypad assembly (new England keyboard) to see if I could purchase one directly from them. They directed me to the same contact at L-3 I had already communicated with, who told me I could purchase them, but only in qualities of 25 at a time or more.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they are only $10 each, 25 wouldnt be that bad, then you could be the go to guy for keypads, double the price and you get yours paid for after 1 sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks