• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-805B throttle actuator problem

Don+23805

Just found this forum. What a treasure trove of info!
My brother picked a practically new MEP-805B and used it for over a year. Then one day the engine just shut down. He thought it was out of fuel - nope. He's the mechanical guy; I'm supposed to be the electrical guy. We finally pinned it down to the fuel actuator valve isn't getting a signal. At first we thought it was just an on/off fuel solenoid, but later realized it's the business end of the governor. I can power the actuator separately and control engine speed. But can't get the automatic speed regulator to work. The magnetic rpm pickup must be working because the generator frequency is displayed on the CIM screen. We have the whole TM.
One thing I can't find is the Governor Control Power Relay. It's shown on the block diagram on page 1-20, and is referenced in paragraph 1.16.3.3 . It says that it is connected to the Fault System, but I can't find it on the wiring diagrams or schematic. Any help finding this would be most welcome.
I'm about to install a variable power supply with a front panel pot that will let us set engine speed. This will probably do as long as the load doesn't change too much, but Automatic would be lots better. Read many of the 805B posts, but nothing seems close enough.
TIA Don

Guyfang

Staff member
If you can not find a wire diagram or schematic, you do not have all the TM's. Go to the TM forum in SS. All the TM's are there. TM9-6115-671-14 has schematics in it. What TM are you using for Troubleshooting?

Don+23805

Our TM is 9-6115-671-14 that came with the generator. It has the 4 foldout wiring diagrams at the back, but I don't see any reference there to the Governor Control Power Relay, either coil or contacts.
TIA Don

Guyfang

Staff member
Mine is dated 1 July 2000 PCN 182 092491 00

The above listed TM is way, way out of date. You should be using the 2012 TM. Its the one you can not open. The reason you can not open it is because its first off, coded "C", not for public distribution, and second, its bee "Copyrighted", so to say. It will not allow you to copy and forward it. I will dig into my junk, and see if I can come up with the TM you are using.

When I open View attachment TM 9-6115-671-14 - Copy (1).pdf , it's only a single blank page.

And this one View attachment TM 9-6115-671-24P.pdf is completely different (and not much help).
The 24P is a parts TM. Important, but not what you need right now.

Don+23805

Haven't touched the MPU. As I understand what you're saying is that it's SCU that is "the governor". And the CIM merely shows info from various sensors (MPU, CT's, etc). Since the CIM is showing the frequency as it changes, I figured the MPU was OK.
I printed out the 5 pages showing which LEDs should be on & when. Will take that out to The Farm today.
Ours is one of those units with the "insufficient CMOS voltage" LED always lit. From other posts, it appears that on most, there is no CMOS battery (I haven't found one) so it's not relevant.
Don

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the plastic connector fail that connects he actuator to the harness, so i just cut it out and replaced with covered male/female connectors

mundy201

Don, just curious if you ever figured out your issue? I have a 805B that basically did the same thing...Ran for about an hour with 18kw load, then shut down and now just cranks. I do not see the cranking light or speed sensor light on while cranking on the Speed Sensing unit(ESD5551) but before I move forward with replacing just wanted to see if you had any luck with MPU or Speed sending unit

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks