• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-805B with solar

SteveTheGreen

Currently have my 805b set up for 3 phase.
I'm off grid and am installing solar.
Can I use my 805b to augment my solar?
Anyone have an 805b with solar?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also see no reason you can't.

Only real issue is you won't be loading the generator much unless you have a HUGE battery bank and charging system, which is extremely unlikely.

There are three phase chargers available out there, or many 240V input chargers will work on 208V single phase. Or you might have to run it in 120V mode if you already have something.

Every so often you will have to burn out the wetstacking that occurs when a diesel isn't run with enough load to get it hot enough, which can often be tied into other things, depending on what you have such as operating heavy appliances or heaters or stuff like that.

SteveTheGreen

I just plan on running it when the batteries are low. Rainy days and such. I have a phone app I should be able to monitor things. Plan on running the generator 6a to 10a. Then 6p yo 10p.
Eventually I'll want to switch to a newer generator that talks with my inverter and self start/stop.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know one of the guys on here has a module for the 802 and 803 series generators that allow for 2 wire start, which is what many inverters work with for starting the generator. Not so sure for the bigger ones.

If you're planning on running the generator 8 hours a day (or that's what I understand from your statement) that is a lot of hours at very minimal load. You'll be wanting to load it up heavy for probably at least one hour a day at that rate, just to keep it from building up too much.

It will work for a while, but as it's way oversized for what you're doing, the sooner you get the right size generator the better off you'll be, as you're going to be burning about 2.5-3 gallons of diesel per hour whenever you have to load it up heavy.

nextalcupfan

I looked into using an 803a to automatically charge a solar battery bank as a way to run off grid without burning so much fuel. The problem is a diesel generator should be most efficient around 80-100% load (as I understand it) and even loading an 803a to full for charging would take a MONSTER Solar battery charger/inverter.

I'm curious why your using an 805b for off-grid, are you running a large shop with it?

Also to actually answer your question augmenting it with solar will work in 2 ways that I know of.

1. A solar system is meant to augment "mainline power" so if you hook your generator to the solar system like its main power the solar should reduce the load on the generator. In this case the generator would have to run 24/7 because once power is lost the solar system shuts down. (to prevent backfeeding the grid)

2. You can hook the generator up as a battery charger and use it exactly like you mentioned in post #4. As mentioned earlier it should be possible to setup an auto-start system tied to the battery state of charge via the Solar battery charger/inverter.
For this you would have to do some digging to see what Solar battery charger/inverter would support this out of the box.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked into using an 803a to automatically charge a solar battery bank as a way to run off grid without burning so much fuel. The problem is a diesel generator should be most efficient around 80-100% load (as I understand it) and even loading an 803a to full for charging would take a MONSTER Solar battery charger/inverter.

I'm curious why your using an 805b for off-grid, are you running a large shop with it?

Also to actually answer your question augmenting it with solar will work in 2 ways that I know of.

1. A solar system is meant to augment "mainline power" so if you hook your generator to the solar system like its main power the solar should reduce the load on the generator. In this case the generator would have to run 24/7 because once power is lost the solar system shuts down. (to prevent backfeeding the grid)

2. You can hook the generator up as a battery charger and use it exactly like you mentioned in post #4. As mentioned earlier it should be possible to setup an auto-start system tied to the battery state of charge via the Solar battery charger/inverter.
For this you would have to do some digging to see what Solar battery charger/inverter would support this out of the box.
The original post said he is off grid, so it is not a grid intertie type system, and he is relying entirely on solar/gen power.

That being said, I have several customers that are off grid and have solar and/or generator systems.

Even the ones without solar only have to run a generator 2-3 hours per day, and the ones with solar might go for several weeks in excellent weather without running a generator.
They adjust their lifestyle so that the battery bank operates the low draw equipment, such as lights and entertainment, but when it's time for heavy loads, the generator runs. By that I mean things like the well pump, as all the major appliances that can be are run on propane (hot water, furnace/hydronic floor heat, laundry dryer).
Water supply goes from well to 1000 gallon or larger water tank, then a lower powered boost pump for pressure to the house.

Then again, I also have customers that use all electrical appliances, and just have an oversized battery bank and inverter to deal with the demand.

SteveTheGreen

We ate totally off grid. Ran a big shop that used up to 30kw. So the mep805b is the right size.
Diesel went up and we had to downsize. If I can figure out how to 'wire in' the 805b as "the grid", I can use it periodically to charge/ suppliment power at night and cloudy days.
I'm okay with manually turning the generator on. Eventually, I'll get a 20kw propane unit that talks with my inverter.
Peak load is 17kw now, but thats rare.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks