• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-816B 60KW problem

blhar15

I have a like new, very low hour unit MEP-816B. This has the CIM display. I am getting a fault code and it will not stay running. Any ideas how to access the fault codes on these?

Thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
What do you want with a 400 Hz generator? Normally I would tell you to look at the manual, TM 9-6115672-14, page 0004-5, but that manual is restricted. What code did you get?

Buzz254

I have the manual, software, and anything else.
I can get just about any manual I want thru DOD channels, as I am a tier-1 prime for the Navy.
but I will only cut the section you need, as it still a restricted pub if complete,,

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy, I just accidentally bought an 816b thinking i got an awsome deal. Boy was I wrong. Can this be taken down to 60hz?

Guyfang

Staff member
Main generator. Control panel. All wire harnesses. Maybe not the engine harness, but would have to look. Maybe a few things in the AC compartment. Once again, have to look see in TM.

Do you understand how the -24P TM works? What UOC is and how to use it? If so, then take a look see in the TM. I would find it a wonderful project. But it's something might take a bit to accomplish.

Reactions: 98G

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Main generator. Control panel. All wire harnesses. Maybe not the engine harness, but would have to look. Maybe a few things in the AC compartment. Once again, have to look see in TM.

Do you understand how the -24P TM works? What UOC is and how to use it? If so, then take a look see in the TM. I would find it a wonderful project. But it's something might take a bit to accomplish.
(Do you understand how the -24P TM works? What UOC is and how to use it? ) No I do not. What othe uses are available for these engines in case I intend to scrap? Also, anyway I could buy you a beer remotely in appreciation for your time? Thanks

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(Do you understand how the -24P TM works? What UOC is and how to use it? ) No I do not. What othe uses are available for these engines in case I intend to scrap? Also, anyway I could buy you a beer remotely in appreciation for your time? Thanks
If the TM covers more than 1 specific model, then each model will have a different UOC. UOC stands for "Use On Code", so if the parts list has say 3 different options for part number 41 on a diagram, each of those different part 41 will have a different UOC, showing which model it goes with.

In a case like this, you're going to look for every part that is different between the models, so if there are 3 options for part #41 on the diagram, one is the for the model you have, and another will be for the model you are trying to convert it into.
You are potentially looking at dozens, if not hundreds of parts, many of which are in extremely short supply or near unobtainable in the civilian world, and very expensive.

If you go the route of buying a cheap, damaged 806B like you mentioned before, you would need to make sure the damaged parts are the same for both units, and can therefore be swapped out without any issue. As others have said, this is likely to be restricted to the engine and parts related to the engine system, but nothing, or almost nothing related to the power production side of things.
Which kind of sucks, because there is no way to be 100% certain the generator side of things is in good working shape without a working engine.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or you could sell it to me, i need a 400hz generator to test my 400 hz load tester

Guyfang

Staff member
As I had nothing else to do, I looked. There is not all that much to change, IF, IF, IF, you have a complete gen set. Looking for individual components for the control cube would be a PITA.

1. Main gen. Figure 19, Item 15.
Filter Assy. Figure 14, Item 22.
Filter Assy. Figure 14, Item 6.
Control Cube, (complete Assy.) Figure 6, Item 6.
Load Output Door. Figure 5, Item 112.

There are a number of components to be changed in the control cube, and I didn't count them, as it make more sense to change the whole cube, then try and find the individual parts. But its possible.

How the output load door could be different, I have no idea, and there was no info on what door was for the 400 hertz model. Sounds fishy to me. Probably a non problem.

Still, I am sure it might be not as easy as one might think. Still, might be fun!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks