MEP 831 FAQ for owners or potential buyers

Statewide

I have a friend who has a 831, he has power at the convenient receptacles but none on the main power lugs ( in any configuration), we did find one burnt relay behind the control panel, replaced it no glory... anybody run into this or have any ideas??

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll want to grab the Technical Manual from the manual section of the forum and do a bit of quick reading to get up to speed on how these things work.

If you have power at the receptacle but not the lugs (assuming you flipped the switch) you need to troubleshoot the circuit that energizes the power contactor and troubleshoot the contactor itself.

There are several troubleshooting guides that will help immensely.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?155865-Manuals-for-the-MEP-831A

Guyfang

I have a friend who has a 831, he has power at the convenient receptacles but none on the main power lugs ( in any configuration), we did find one burnt relay behind the control panel, replaced it no glory... anybody run into this or have any ideas??
Have you downloaded the TM?
Have you ever seen this gen set work right? Is it new to you?
What relay did you find burnt.
Are you sure that you replaced it with the right relay? K12, K14 and K15 are not all the same relay.
Do you know how to use a multimeter?
Can you read a schematic?

Guyfang

Have you downloaded the TM?
Have you ever seen this gen set work right? Is it new to you?
What relay did you find burnt.
Are you sure that you replaced it with the right relay? K12, K14 and K15 are not all the same relay.
Do you know how to use a multimeter?
Can you read a schematic?
You really need to start your own thread on this problem.

Mogman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a piece of JUNK!! even after you get all the controller issues fixed all you end up with is a generator you cannot run inside (as with all generators) and despite the fact it has a solar panel to charge the batteries you cannot leave it outside because the slightest amount of moisture and the thing will shut down on "overload/short circuit" (I have read MANY accounts of this, not just me) what a POS......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks