• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 831A Black Smoke No Start

Krafty

I recently purchased my first 831A - a 2004 unit with 12 hrs (2.1 hrs since new engine in 2013). I flushed the fuel tank including the filter/separator, verified the electric fuel pump worked by disconnecting the rubber fuel line at the engine driven injector pump intake and then pumped at least a qt of fresh diesel out of this line before reconnecting it to the engine driven fuel pump. A clean/new tag indicated that it had break-in oil and to change it after 100 hrs. I did not change the oil.

After a bunch of black smoke, it eventually started and began to run fairly decently for a few minutes. I then left it for about 2 minutes to grab an extension cord and power tool. As I returned, the engine surged a few times and shut down. White smoke was flowing from the alternator cover. It was not exhaust. No warning lights were illuminated on the control panel. The unit now cranks but will not restart. It just billows chalky black smoke. The air filter is not clogged and the injector appears to be working - sprays a fine mist in 4 directions when removed. I’ve tried starting it with the air filter removed - no change. I don’t have a compression tester but can get one. All the fuel lines appear to be good.

There was a fine coating of oil on the top of the engine near the injector and on the block - none on the internal shroud - or dripping anywhere. I’m not sure if this is from the long term storage procedure. There is not an obvious sign of an oil/fuel leak. Any ideas as to what to try next? I expect that once I get it running, I’ll have an alternator issue as well.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks