• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831a circuit interuptor adjustable?

Mneil

Since you are running it in 240 V mode the most you should pull on one of the 120 legs is ~15 amps at the lugs.
The saws startup current is probably tripping it.

If you don't need 240 volts then reconfigure the inverter to 120 V mode. !! Only do this with the set shut OFF !!
Once you do that you'll have 30 amps at 120 V available at the lugs.
See if your saw will work that way.
Stupid question perhaps, but what happens (if you know) if the 120V/240V switch is thrown with the set ON?

Falstaff

It would be a REAL bad idea to do that. Might not anything happen. But it sounds like a real good way to start looking for repair parts to me.
I have mine running well now, she still wont start a skill saw or a 9 amp milwaukee grinder from the out put lugs, but it will run them from the convienience outlet.

i think my circuit interuptor is bad, now the green light stays on whether its open or closed. The interuptor has no problem with resistive loads,brought it up to 100% with heaters and lights, but she just doesnt like to start motors. I have another open frame milsurp genset thats 3000 watts with a Robin-Subaru branded Yanmar clone engine that has no problem starting a skill saw.

I will say that the 831 runs my lincoln 100 amp mig welder very nicely though.

Mneil

It would be a REAL bad idea to do that. Might not anything happen. But it sounds like a real good way to start looking for repair parts to me.
Thanks for your responses! I have a newly-acquired 831A that gave off smoke and flames from the inverter while running (briefly and then self-extinguished). I can't remember if I may have absently-minded thrown that switch while it was running (since like jmark, I am not getting voltage from the unit when running, even though the voltage gauge is showing 240v). When I removed the inverter after the excitement, a bunch of mouse house stuff (much of it blackened from the flames!) fell out - - so I think it might have been heat from inside the inverter that caused the mouse debris to flare up.