• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831a inverter

poultrydoc

Long story short, I burned up the inverter on my MEP-831a. It spent many days running on the beach and I decided it needed to be cleaned of salt and sand. Bad idea. I fired it up after the cleaning and roasted the inverter.
I attempted a rebuild with the help of a buddy who rebuilds old amps, but it burned out in the same place (I have pics if anyone is interested)... I’m guessing the salt penetrated the board, which resulted in conductance across capacitors, which resulted in the burn out.
Does anyone have or know of an inverter for sale? The thing runs like a top otherwise. If I can’t find an inverter I’ll be parting it out.
let me know if you can help out!
Thanks in advance!
PD

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
watch ebay and craiglist they come up every now and then as others part theirs out, the OEM's seem hard to get to sell direct but the inverter appears to still be in manufacture. good luck. I've been sort-of looking for spare also.

Demoh

Id be interested in seeing the pictures. one of my 831s has an issue (unresolved because all of my time is going into rebuilding 803s) and Ill be tearing the inverter apart to replace some components. Im pretty sure mine is down to either a control problem, voltage sense problem, or hopefully the big hunk of silicon that does the actual inverting needs to be replaced (forgot name).

Worst case depending on how yours failed if our failures are different areas then we could make 1 good inverter. I have 3 831s so I could use one as a reference. FWIW the failure mode of my inverter was overvoltage. L1-N is 120v and L2-N is 240v. I ended up reverse engineering the unit minus the controls because I didnt have a schematic so I created one.

My issue is time though. Im moving shop right now and have more people lined up wanting 803s than I have in my yard so finding time is a challenge. We got keys to the shop yesterday so stress level has gone down as now the easy part, buildout of new shop and move.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 831, if it sits for more than a day or two - will start and trip on "over overload short circuit" - so i have to run it "pinned" to heat it up (my interpretation to what is happening). once the unit is warm, it will start and run fine.

having read all the threades i figured the inverter is just sensitive to moisture??? and the heat up drives off the offending moisture. but i figure it means the inverter has a limited life left??? so was looking for a spare that is not in the same shape.

keep posting what you find with yours. i've not been brave enough to open the inverter up.

USAMilRet

Id be interested in seeing the pictures. one of my 831s has an issue (unresolved because all of my time is going into rebuilding 803s) and Ill be tearing the inverter apart to replace some components. Im pretty sure mine is down to either a control problem, voltage sense problem, or hopefully the big hunk of silicon that does the actual inverting needs to be replaced (forgot name).

Worst case depending on how yours failed if our failures are different areas then we could make 1 good inverter. I have 3 831s so I could use one as a reference. FWIW the failure mode of my inverter was overvoltage. L1-N is 120v and L2-N is 240v. I ended up reverse engineering the unit minus the controls because I didnt have a schematic so I created one.

My issue is time though. Im moving shop right now and have more people lined up wanting 803s than I have in my yard so finding time is a challenge. We got keys to the shop yesterday so stress level has gone down as now the easy part, buildout of new shop and move.
Where you moving to? Probably come and see your setup if possible.