• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831A Test Rig?

DavidPoz

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, and first purchase from an online auction site. This is an MEP-831A. Overall it looks nice. However, it has sensors on it. Does anyone out there know the reason for the sensors? Was it some kind of test rig? Thanks.

There are these orange wires running all over the place. They are temperature sensors, and the end has a little plug to go into a temperature display. The sensors are attached to: 1. Exhaust port, 2. PMA air outlet side, 3. Engine Head, 4. PMA Stator windings, 5. Not sure where, just dangling. In addition to these temperature sensors, there is also a pressure gauge. This pressure gauge is not currently connected to anything, but I think there would have been a hose running to the extra "T" fitting on the oil pressure switch.

Part of the governor linkage is missing. Not sure if it's relevant, but I thought to add it.

So, who out there knows what this was used for? Why all the sensors?

Thanks everyone,
David Poz

20230119_173959.jpg

20230119_174057.jpg

20230119_174019.jpg

20230119_174514.jpg

20230119_174522.jpg

20230119_174818.jpg

20230119_174949.jpg

20230119_174959.jpg

20230121_100238.jpg

Attachments

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi David
I'm one of your many YT subscribers. I very much enjoy your videos!
I agree with Dieseladdict. Looks like they were doing environmental stress testing on that 831.
I recall seeing that set and another one during that auction.

Last edited:

DavidPoz

Hi David
I'm one of your many YT subscribers. I very much enjoy your videos!
I agree with Dieseladdict. Looks like they were doing environmental stress testing on that 831.
I recall seeing that set and another one during that auction.
Hi Kloppk,
Thanks for being a subscriber. I'm here (on the forum) to learn from you guys. I loved using these 831, and 802, gensets while I was in the Army. Now I finally get to own a couple. It's very nice. I hope I can get this one running, but I'll have to find and/or make the missing linkage.

DavidPoz

Definitely an environmental test unit.
Who is the manufacturer of the gen set?
Hi Dewie38,

I'm thrilled you are able to chime in. I've read some past posts and I think you said you are a full time fixer of these. That's great.
The tag says Fermont, 01/07
Do you happen to know where I might be able to purchase some new linkage? And, do you have a link to the process for setting the linkage?

Thanks,
David Poz

Dewie38

I worked for Fermont, there are several people that over the years have done alot of work on these units and have been a big help to many people who needed help on this forum.
I can probably locate a new linkage but the swivel joint connected to the actuator is seperate from the rest of the assembly. Dont know if I have one of those.
I can check and let you know unless someone else knows for sure they have one for you.

DavidPoz

Time for an update. I've removed the old temperature sensors and gave it a decent cleaning. It's winter right now, so I can't pressure wash it yet, but still better. I replaced all the rubber fuel lines, both supply and return. There was no evidence of them being bad, but I just did it as a precaution. Actually, it was the video from "Call me Colt" on YouTube that inspired me to replace the fuel lines. I also added a new fuel filter. My 12V batteries are top-balancing right now. I also flushed the fuel tank to clean anything that might have been in there. I didn't see anything in the tank, but just a precaution. I ordered some break-in oil that should be coming in this week. It's getting there.

Attachments

DavidPoz

I felt the 831 was ready to fire up today. Good battery attached, and... Failure to crank! Darn. I started going through the troubleshooting steps in the -13 TM (thanks for having it on this forum). Got to step "f." and was a bit perplexed. Notice anything odd? LOL Note, step f was on page 124 in the PDF and corresponds to Figure FO-2 (page 587). That diagram was challenging to find, but I just went through one page at a time till I found it. Thanks Chris for being my sounding board through the process. 20230213_201004.jpg