• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-8xx engine paint

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have an answer yet Ray, but I have posed the question to a Lister guru, who I hope knows the answer. Will circle back if I get a response.

Ray70

Hello everyone, Wanted to give you a little new information on the Stove Brite engine paint and ask everyone's opinion on its durability.
It is a great color match for newer LPW engines but I've found that because it requires a very high temperature curing process ( as described in the spec sheet ) that is well above the operating temps. of an engine, can anyone report on its long term durability and resistance to solvents etc.?
I've used it quite a bit and found that after simple air drying, the paint has very little, almost no resistance to solvents. Spilled diesel will almost rinse it right off, but I'm wondering if temp curing at normal engine temps. is high enough to cure it sufficiently to make it last?
To this point, I've contacted Stove Brite's manufacturing facility and asked if they have another line of coatings (in aerosol ) that does not require as high ( 600F ) of a curing temp. but also comes in the same Forest Green. They asked for the max. operating temp that I need, and I'm currently waiting to hear back and will let you know if they have a suggestion.

Ray70

Yes, I had thought about heat guns or I also have an IR heat lamp I use for automotive fenders etc. but the cure process Forrest Paint ( stove brite's mfr. ) suggests is air dry for 4 hours, then 450F for 1 hour followed by 600F for 1 hour http://forrestpaint.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Stove-Bright-User-Guide-2017-1-1.pdf so there's no way to actually meet their requirements on an assembled engine. I'm assuming anything, even just running the motor at operating temp. will help some, but it also looks like they offer several other coatings designed for lower operating temps. The Stove Brite line is their highest temp, rated at 1200F ( a bit excessive for an engine ) but they have other coatings in the 250F - 600F operating range. Maybe one of those will have a more attainable cure procedure?? We'll see. Just trying to use the most durable solution, if something else exists, but like I said, maybe once it's seen operating temps for a while, maybe it will be good enough. Just don't want to "test" that theory on a finished detailed motor, maybe I'll spray a test panel and give it an hour in front of the heat lamp then test it.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

I guess I never totally read the curing process.

I had everywhere I sprayed, clean and paint ready. Sprayed lightly, let dry a bunch of days, (saturday to saturday) I have put at least another 20 hours on each of the different engines I have painted. I do not have any issues with the paint. It still look good where the prior rusting was actually from air humidty temp changes, and the block would sweat drips of water.

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

I guess I never totally read the curing process.

I had everywhere I sprayed, clean and paint ready. Sprayed lightly, let dry a bunch of days, (saturday to saturday) I have put at least another 20 hours on each of the different engines I have painted. I do not have any issues with the paint. It still look good where the prior rusting was actually from air humidty temp changes, and the block would sweat drips of water.
No issues here either, about 12 hours (Missed a few spots) thanks for the reference.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks