• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-8xx S1 and S6 switch variations

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
So many ask, but do not know. They do the same function.
Pictures of the S1 and S6 switches.
Plastic switches
S1 plastic switch.jpgS6 plastic meter switch.jpg
plastic switches back.jpg

Bakelite switches
S1 bakelite switch.jpgS6 bakelite meter switch.jpg
bakelite switches back.jpg

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
The bakelite version would be the better unit. It has a metal stab which the turn knob is mounted on. The Plastic version has a plastic stab pin which some users have found it can snap off and break when turning to aggressively.

I am sure Guy will come along and let us know the proper naming of the units. Something like mark I or mark II generation...

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was from another threat, i think he was only talking about the plastic switches here.

Screenshot_1.jpg

my guess for your photos would be, version 1.... its blue and round.

Guyfang

Staff member
Blue and round- version 1
Blue and square- version-2
Bakelite- version 3
If the knob is plastic, version 1 or 2. Easy to remember.

If I had a version 1 or 2, I might find a version 3, (if the price were right), but would not toss out a version 1 or 2, until it broke.

Last edited:

dav5

Guyfang I think I have read all your generator posts. With your help plus other contributors I am now fairly comfortable with the TM's. I now even know what the cage code is. The one thing I am still having trouble with is "usable on code". Specifically I am buying spare parts for my MEP 803A when I see them for a good price. I want to buy a master switch. It is advertised as a switch for an 804a NSN 5930-01-531-2975. PN 31904QT. I looked up the NSN for both the 803A and the 804A in your TM's and got the same # 5930-01-368-5160 which is obviously different. The photo looks identical to the 803a switch. There didn't seem to be any info in the usable on code section. Any advice. Thanks again. Ted

Guyfang

Staff member
Ted,

The UOC, usable on code, is ment to clue you in, when there are two different parts, that go in the same place. For instance, the hertz meter. The MEP-802A, the 60 hertz gen set, has a different frequency meter then a MEP-812A, 400 hertz gen set. When you look at the exploded picture, you see the meter, and an Item number. When you look at the detailed explanation, you will see the same Item number, with the same, or almost the same explanation, but different part number and NSN. How to tell the difference? The UOC. Where is the explanation for the UOC? In the front of the manual. Normally under Special Information, Usable On Code heading. Normally there will be a 3 letter code, next to the types of different models. EMH is the code for the 60 hertz model. ENY is the code for the 400 hertz model. Normally, the Item Discription and UOC are in column 5. Sometimes it will even say, 60 hertz, or 400 hertz, along with the UOC. But not always. And all parts manuals can show this info just a little bit different. That's why I have used the word "normally" so often here. But if you read the intro to the TM's, you should have no problem with it. It gets interesting when you use a truck manual for instance. Call up a 5 ton parts manual. Look at the cover. You will see about 500 different models of trucks, on the cover. That's why it's important to look at the truck data plate, get the NSN from the data plate, to compare it to the list of models on the cover. There is a world of difference between a W/W, (with winch) and WOW, (without winch). 99% of the parts are the same. It's that 1% that will screw you up every time. So, after this long winded explanation, does it make sense?

The reason the S1 switches are not the same, is probably because one manual might be showing an old switch, and the other showing a new switch. I will check it in the AM. It's 01:30, or round about.

dav5

Thanks Guyfang, that does clear it up. I was under the mistaken impression that if the part with that NSN was used in other equipment the UOC column would list what other units also used it. The 804A and 803A TM's had the same correct # listed but the one that was for sale as a 804a switch had a different NSN which leads me to believe it is not from an 804A or 803A.

Guyfang

Staff member
Guyfang I think I have read all your generator posts. With your help plus other contributors I am now fairly comfortable with the TM's. I now even know what the cage code is. The one thing I am still having trouble with is "usable on code". Specifically I am buying spare parts for my MEP 803A when I see them for a good price. I want to buy a master switch. It is advertised as a switch for an 804a NSN 5930-01-531-2975. PN 31904QT. I looked up the NSN for both the 803A and the 804A in your TM's and got the same # 5930-01-368-5160 which is obviously different. The photo looks identical to the 803a switch. There didn't seem to be any info in the usable on code section. Any advice. Thanks again. Ted
The NSN 5930-01-368-5160 is for the mark one switch. It works, but is not reliable, over long time periods. Its plastic, and can break.
The NSN 5930-01-498-9903 is, I think, for the mark two switch. Same problems as the mark one.
The NSN 5930-01-531-2976 is for the mark three switch. Last a lifetime switch.
The NSN 5930-01-531-2975. Someone needs to show me a manual or proof that it goes in a 803A or any other gen set I know. I looked in all the manuals, and cant find it. I cant say, 100% that it wont fit. But sure cant find any reference that it does.

Last edited:

dav5

H
S1.JPGS1 photo.JPGHi Guyfang, As you sometimes say "Google can be your best friend". I finally found a link tying NSN 5930015312975 to the 804A. It will not work with an 803A though.Thanks again for all your help. Ted

Last edited:

Zed254

dav5
How do you configure this switch (804 S6) to work as an S1 on an MEP-80xA? I just bought an MEP-802A and it has a pretty weak blue plastic S-1. The switch hangs up in start and does not feel as robust as the Electroswitch units.
Thanks,

dav5

Sorry i should have updated my post. I got the NSN wrong. It is definitely for an 804 with the the metal shaft. A great deal if you have an 804 but it won't work for an 802A.

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
The preferred switches are the metal ones, and are the requested switches during a reset, unless they are not available.

Mep-802/803 units

Electroswitch 75902LV start switch
Electroswitch 31907LW Meter selector switch

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks