• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-8xx stainless steel screw information

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
For those thinking about swapping a bunch of the screws on your MEP-802/803

MEP-8xx stainless steel screw information

The main screw used 80% of locations on the panels
#10-32 x 1/2" Hex - Unslotted Drive Indented Hex Washer Head Grade 18-8 Stainless Steel Machine Screw
#10-32 Unslotted Drive Indented Hex Washer Head Machine Screw.jpg
#10 18-8 Stainless Steel Medium Split Lock Washer
#10 Medium Split Lock Washer.jpg
#10 18-8 Stainless Steel Small OD Flat Washer
#10 Small OD Flat Washer.jpg
#10-32 Grade 18-8 Stainless Steel with External Tooth Lockwasher K-Lock Nut
#10-32 External Tooth Lockwasher K-Lock Nut.jpg

The other large screws are
1/4"-20 x 3/4" Hex - Unslotted Drive Indented Hex Washer Head Grade 18-8 Stainless Steel Machine Screw
1/4" 18-8 Stainless Steel Small OD Flat Washer
1/4"-20 Grade 18-8 Stainless Steel with External Tooth Lockwasher K-Lock Nut

The look is the exact same which you have currently. The main #10 screw at some locations use just the screw itself, some with a washer, and some other with a lock washer and washer.
I ordered the below, because of the size of packs they sell.
50 #10-32 x 1/2" screws
50 #10 washers
50 #10 split lock washers
50 #10 nuts w/keeper lock (The amount will depend on what year your unit was built) Some year they switched over to having a majority with cage nuts.

This still might not cover them all. I do not know the exact count that you will need.

The larger ones will be around 20 pieces.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
If you want to know how many nuts, washers screws and bolts are in the generator set, go to the parts manual and find a diagram showing the screw you want, For example, Figure 5. Item 10, the bolt that is used mostly to hold the top covers on. Look at the description, go to the right hand side of the description, Column 6. Column 6 gives you the total number of bolts, of that part number/NSN that are used in the set. And for that part number it shows 102 bolts. Easy.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
It really depends how crazy you want to go replacing screws. For example; say you only want to do the ones on the top panel and front panel only. That's maybe 40 screws. 90% the smaller #10 screws, and 7 of the 1/4" screws.

At least the listing gets you an idea about what they call the pieces to match what came out.

I do not know what year they changed to have more caged nuts. The 2009 MEP-802A has almost all caged nuts. It really makes taking the top and front panels off a lot easier. On my 2007 MEP-803A, not the same story. It's kinda tough getting in there holding the locking keeper nut in place to start the screw into all the top panel locations.

Guyfang

Staff member
Mike, ya done good! That's good work there. If I was to own any TQG, this list would be on my desk, under the glass.

The army started to order stainless, and issued them under the same NSN of the old screws. So you never knew what you would get. There is a special code you can use, along with the PART number, on a DA-form 1348-6, non NSN requisition form. The code tells the supply system you ONLY want the stainless hardware. I ordered (in fact, had a nice SSG order for me as I was a civilian) several thousand fasteners of all the sizes I needed. Used every one I had.

Your right Mike, it is crazy to take something apart just to replace the screws. BUT, when ever I repaired ANYTHING, I tossed the old hardware, and installed the new. Now if the wife were mad at me, and it was winter, nothing to do, well, I just might try and replace them all. But only maybe.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Actually, the unit uses

293 #10-32 x 1/2" Hex - Unslotted Drive Indented Hex Washer Head Machine Screws
116 #10 Split Lock Washers
118 #10 Flat Washers

:cool: If you want to totally go crazy and replace every single one.

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK, after you start replacing some, you do get carried away a little. I guess I should have just ordered at least 200 of the screws to begin with. It kinds sucks when your going along and then you realize you do not have any screws left.:sad:

Guyfang

Staff member
Yep. Thats why I had a young soldier order me about 1000 of all sizes screws, nuts and bolts for the TQG series. I used them up in about 3 months. It was a never ending battle, to keep enough on hand. Even the reset program, did not replace old, rusty and rounded off hardware. Drove up the cost of the job.

rustystud

Mike, ya done good! That's good work there. If I was to own any TQG, this list would be on my desk, under the glass.

The army started to order stainless, and issued them under the same NSN of the old screws. So you never knew what you would get. There is a special code you can use, along with the PART number, on a DA-form 1348-6, non NSN requisition form. The code tells the supply system you ONLY want the stainless hardware. I ordered (in fact, had a nice SSG order for me as I was a civilian) several thousand fasteners of all the sizes I needed. Used every one I had.

Your right Mike, it is crazy to take something apart just to replace the screws. BUT, when ever I repaired ANYTHING, I tossed the old hardware, and installed the new. Now if the wife were mad at me, and it was winter, nothing to do, well, I just might try and replace them all. But only maybe.
Every time I replace a bolt or screw on my trucks or generators I go with stainless steel. I have a quite a collection of bolts, nuts, Nylock nuts and washers, and screws now. If I need just 2 bolts I buy a box of 100 . I know all the names of the guys at the bolt supply store and they all know me. This way I know that in a few years if I need to go back in and fix something I will be able to get it apart without much effort instead of fighting rusted bolts or screws.

Guyfang

Staff member
Here in our wet environment, it's a must to use stainless. I once snapped off 30 plus screws/nuts on a generator set, when I did not take the time to squirt WD40 on the rusted hardware, the day before I started to take the set apart. As I had no spare hardware, i was looking a tad stupid for a while. As it was, the wire harness was toast, so I had lots of time to get hardware ordered before the harness came. A silver lining to every dark cloud.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I have ordered extra's now. Since I am replacing more than I expected.

:-D

Guyfang

Staff member
You know, in some places, where there is only the bolt and nut, or caged nut, when I replaced the rusty hardware, I added the washer also. Just seemed to me like they should be there.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I have been getting into replacing some of the hard to reach areas with rivnuts. That way I do not have to hold any nut.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I have only replaced the main panel screws., and/or any screws which I have taken off the panel. Most times I have poked the screws into a cardboard piece and painted them.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
After replacing so many screws with stainless steel parts. I wish on the 2007 unit I changed all the nuts to RIVNUTS. But, that won't happen since I used all stainless steel bolts and nuts with lock washers.

lindsey97

On the subject of replacing bolts/nuts, I recently purchased a pull off winch setup for one of my M939 cargo trucks. I had noticed that the seller had used a torch to remove some of the bolts, and that I would need several. I ordered a couple different boxes of 1/2"-20 bolts, and other smaller sizes of hardware well in advance of beginning the install. I also purchased a 1/2"-20 tap to clean out the existing captivated nuts in the frame extensions. it was a good choice and made the install much smoother using a tap to clean up the threads during assembly.

sandmanxx

Cage nut question..

Any idea what flavor of cage nut they started using on the mep-803..???

Not sure i like the rivnut route - thou i haven't started yet.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently bought an 803 great runner but I think every time a forklift drove by it the operator decided to see what kind of damage could be inflicted with forks. Anyway doesn't bother me I can straighten the panels and it let me purchase at reasonable price. However with lessons learned from previous 802, I just ordered rivnuts and a drill mounted riv tool. No way I would want to tear down unit as far as it is going to require using the original cage nuts. I have no idea how small of hands would be required to reach some of locations. My kids got tired of me dragging them out to try and hold backup. I will try and post some action photos of rebuild but no promises because I usually get so involved that I never remember until I'm done.

sandmanxx

What is all this talk ( diff threads - varies forums ) of people not liking rivnuts..

I hear you - i was going to use rivnuts thinking about all this 3 months ago..

Fast forward - my unit is already apart with front section zip tied together.
Could use the rivnuts in the 4 corners - figure of speech.. And use cage nuts / slip nuts else were.. Any thing has to be better then screws and nuts ..

Guyfang

Staff member
You need to take these things apart 5 days a week. Then you would know real joy. I had not one, but two cordless screwdrivers. Wore one of those baby's plumb out. Worth every penny I paid for them. For extra credit, you need to take apart and reassemble a MEP-806.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks