• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 903

jeeplvr247

I have been looking for a kit to make a control panel for this generator for quite some time. My uncle bought one of these a few years ago with the hopes of finding a control panel at another auction but never struck pay dirt. I got in touch with bimoda to see if he could make a kit for me but I think he has given up on that prospective business. Does anyone know of a source to get any sort of functioning control panel (military or not)? I know nothing about electrical systems and I have my hands more than full with my jeep so going at it with just the wiring diagram is not a realistic option.

Edit: I found an old post which showed a control panel fabricated by M109guy. I have PM'ed him to see if he is still making them but he has not been active on the site in quite some time.

Last edited:

quickfarms

I had one they are LOUD! I'm not a fan
They are load if you run them as they are but you have to remember that they were designed to be located inside of an insulated enclosure. I added a sound insulated enclosure to mine and it is a lot quitter but it is not a honda.

bimota

Hi all MEP-903 owners, fans (not many) and those that want to get rid of them

Hi all MEP-903 owners, fans (not many) and those that want to get rid of them:

I stopped trying to sell or make kits for these because they stopped selling them. They are tricky to rework with a new controller and they are LOUD and worse - they DO blow up. I did 5 units with some manual start and some auto start. Of the 5 only 2 are still running and in service after two years. There are several service alerts from MEP that I can email. Maybe I should post here.

What we learned is that for short term backup applications like off grid solar backup or short 1-3 hours runs these can be good machines for mobile or small application (400lbs vs 1200lbs for an MEP-003) - they are relatively easy to close up in a plywood box to make quieter. They are 3600 rpm screamers but do make good clean power - they will not accept any overload over 10kw - short or long term - the motor bogs down.

They throw rods - the Kubota engine is built well but like any diesel I know of wants to run less than 2800rpm. That said, we will pay up to $1000 for a clean MEP-903 since our customers do like the Kubota brand. It costs me about $1,000 to install auto start on them and test all the features. We can still do that in Colfax or Hollister, CA.

I did see a unit in Phoenix with a inverter mounted on top - I want to try some military inverters - will barter or pay cash for inverters!

Your generator and off grid Guru - Tod at Sangha Energy.org

steelypip

Is it possible to slow the generator for less output and more longevity?
Short answer: no. Long answer: it's a direct drive synchronous generator set. If you slow the engine down, you also slow the generator head down. The generator head makes 60 Hz because it is spinning 3600 RPM. If you slow the engine and gen head down to 2800 RPM, you now have a 46.6 Hz generator, which probably isn't of much use to you.

TurboJoe

I'm surprised they sold for as much as they did, I'm guessing that engine gets used in something else.

We sell a range of simple generator control panels that could be fitted to run one of these. Our production panel in that price range does not include ammeters, or voltage adjust. You could simply short the CT secondary and skip the ammeter and put the voltage adjust somewhere else. You may be able to fit a voltage adjuster in the enclosure. We usually provide combination switch senders along with the panel. It includes a volt meter, frequency meter, Oil and water temp gauge, and key start control unit that has a contact closure for auto. It uses water temp and oil pressure switch, along with AC volt signal to control the set. Very basic.

We can build a full panel for that set to be plug and play, but I suspect price would be to high in a once piece build. The plus side is I have a wide arrange of generator controllers from basic key switches all the way up to a controller that will send you a text message if someone is stealing your fuel.

Guyfang

Staff member
Guys, these sets were used on things that we may not talk about in this forum. The gen set is not restricted, but what some of them powered is. The control panel was in the equipment that the sets powered. Sooooooooooooooooooooooo, getting a control panel is tricky. tcody posted a part number, but to my knowledge, no good NSN was ever issued. I saw and worked on several of these things, but people did not want me looking at anything but the gen set. We called them tunnel generators, because they slid in and out of a tunnel built into the equipment they powered. I have the books for them, but unless you are willing to make a control panel, you might have a hard time using them.

Tom Thumb

I bought one of these gen sets from a guy in Ohio early 2016. Mine came with the Control Panel. If anyone wants one of these, I can try to find the contact in Ohio.

rustystud

Guys, these sets were used on things that we may not talk about in this forum. The gen set is not restricted, but what some of them powered is. The control panel was in the equipment that the sets powered. Sooooooooooooooooooooooo, getting a control panel is tricky. tcody posted a part number, but to my knowledge, no good NSN was ever issued. I saw and worked on several of these things, but people did not want me looking at anything but the gen set. We called them tunnel generators, because they slid in and out of a tunnel built into the equipment they powered. I have the books for them, but unless you are willing to make a control panel, you might have a hard time using them.
Can you upload those manuals you have ? Thanks.

quickfarms

Can you upload those manuals you have ? Thanks.
The manual is posted on this site in the manual section under generators.

If you try to build your own control panel you have to do some reverse engineering because all of the wiring diagrams I have found contain mistakes.

My generator runs and generates electricity using my panel

I have found the connectors for the cable between the generator and control panel but I can't find the correct wire that fits in the holes and is the right gauge.

I would be interested in a cable and control panel.

Last edited:

Tom Thumb

I bought one of these gen sets from a guy in Ohio early 2016. Mine came with the Control Panel. If anyone wants one of these, I can try to find the contact in Ohio.

Here's the guys info who sold me one of these APU 10KW-5E generators.

http://www.teufelhundenwholesale.com This link is dead. Useless.

The owners name is Bill and he's in Columbus Ohio. He had several of these units including control boxes earlier this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pman357

I've got this unit mastered. But this is a business for me so I can't give it away. I can make manual kits and full two wire start automated units like the picture attached.

The photo shows the Dynagen Control Panel mounted for full automatic control, digital gauges as well. Basic automated control panel kit would be $495 or so. What do you think, should I formalize the plans and sell the kits?

Basic, manual kit would be $195 roughly, depending on how much pre build on the wiring harness. How many do you want?

We have one installed and powering an off grid house. Works great. I'd be very interested in buying more of these units so if you bought one and can't make it work and want your money back, please email. I will pay cash and have them shipped. Thanks,
I've got this unit mastered. But this is a business for me so I can't give it away. I can make manual kits and full two wire start automated units like the picture attached.

The photo shows the Dynagen Control Panel mounted for full automatic control, digital gauges as well. Basic automated control panel kit would be $495 or so. What do you think, should I formalize the plans and sell the kits?

Basic, manual kit would be $195 roughly, depending on how much pre build on the wiring harness. How many do you want?

We have one installed and powering an off grid house. Works great. I'd be very interested in buying more of these units so if you bought one and can't make it work and want your money back, please email. I will pay cash and have them shipped. Thanks,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks