• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-952b fuel consumption test results.

90cummins

Mep-952b Test
9/21/2015
I ran my second fuel consumption test today on my MEP-952b APU after making some changes to the governor system.
My first test on 7/1/2015 was performed with the generator as I received it which was running at full rated speed which was advertised as being 3000rpm.
The first test at full speed (3000 rpm?) gave me run time of 2.67 hours per gallon with a 1kw AC load.
That brings us to today.
I made a two stage speed control system which allows me to run the APU at the rated speed of 3000rpm or at 2550 rpm no-load & 2342 rpm loaded.
I purchased an optical tachometer and applied reflective tape to the generator end fan blade which allowed me to pre-set and check the rpm during the test.
My test procedure is as follows;
I connected the APU to my whole house inverter and switched over to my 24v battery back-up system.
I used a portable heater to create a stable load which in this case was 1.8kw’s.
I started the engine and applied the load and allowed the engine to stabilize for several minutes before starting the test.
I then recorded the following;
Time, Engine rpm, AC kw’s, DC Kw’s, Fuel consumed in Oz’s
I started the test at 30 ounces and recorded various data points as the fuel was consumed.
I stopped the test when there was 6 ounces left.
24 ounces of fuel were consumed in 39 minutes with an average load of 1.8kw’s.
I was pleased with today’s results which were much better with a run time 3.47 hours per gallon with the engine running at 2342 rpm and a 1.8kw AC load.
I will continue to tweek things and perhaps make a variable speed controller that will respond to maintain a specified voltage.
90cummins

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks