• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 952B; What are these good for?

Blazer8750

I'm interested in tinkering with one and trying to think of how I could utilize it, as they only produce 28VDC. Anybody have any cool ideas or projects?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your not really aloud to talk about upcoming auctions here on SS.

That said, its a 24v genset for starting vehicles.

Blazer8750

I'm thinking of some way to use the engine. Maybe gear it up to run a blender. Gear it down to drive a winch. Use it in a go cart. Who knows... Something crazy and impractical.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Diesel motors are great to run lots of stuff, just have to figure a way to hook it to the flywheel!

DieselGenAC

Set up a PLC to autostart it based on battery charge. Buy some batteries and big inverters and run your house.

ETN550

Set up a PLC to autostart it based on battery charge. Buy some batteries and big inverters and run your house.
Yes! DC generators are more common than we think. Cell towers are frequently backed up with them, UPS style. Lots of potential for home back up and solar wind battery combinations.

The higher end inverters can seamlessly switch from grid to battery upon grid failure. With a reasonalbly sized battery bank and a shorter outage the generator may not have to come on at all. After the outage is over the grid can recharge the batteries. If the outage is long or the load is big then the gen can kick in. The gen can easily be modified for auto start as mentioned and it can also be modified to run at slower speeds to match the load. I'm currently working with one and will be initially using a small battery bank with one or two 3kw inverters that can auto switch from grid to battery. This is a really good andf efficient but expensive type of backup.

The 952Bs are used in mobile field communcations command units. They are built for good reliability and probably have decent power quality. They can be strippped of all controls and can be manually started and will make power. The regulator on the alternator is separate from the controls. They hand start with a crank and auto decompress. Very easy to hand start one.

I think they are pretty cool. FYI the flywheel alone on the engien weighs 80 lb and they rev very slow, not suitable for a vehicle. Great for a generator, pump, logsplitter, etc. Fun to play with.

The flywheel is wide enough to run a polyvee belt on the OD. The 952B drives a 2 bearing alternator through a coupling similar to a jaw coupling so when the alternator and engine are separated both components are still useable or easily retrofitted to other devices. The alternator drive end does not use the engine to support the rotor.

Last edited:

90cummins

Thought I'd respond to keep this post alive.
I bought 2 MEP-952b APU's to support my 24v 4kw backup battery system.
My battery bank is rather limited in power consisting of (4) 6v L16RE-b's which gives me 370ah of power at 24v.
With proper power management this is sufficient to keep my house warm, lights on and fridge & freezer cold for 8 to 12 hours.
Battery storage is very expensive thus it is cheaper to use a diesel generator to recharge and support a battery backup system than it is to purchase enough batteries for extended operation.
90cummins

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the gas version, its only rated at 4.2kw, and it is used for a ground hop kit to start AeroCommanders and TurboCommanders.

This one is in NC at the present working on those fires over there.

WY in NC.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You could parallel them since they are DC. You would need to make a diode setup like a reverse battery isolator. I have a bunch of the 952s I never got around to playing with them though. If someone had a 28v solar setup it would prob work well for backup.

Guyfang

Staff member
1. You are not giving anyone enough info to help you.
2. You are posting now in two different threads, so it's not possible for folks to keep up with things you may or may not learn.
3 Start your own thread to get more visibility. And just post there. We need your help, to help you.

MountainRangerMan

Know someone selling MEP-952b 5kw diesel generator. Don't know much about them- need a generator for a small off-grid cabin for a battery/solar set up. Would this one be a good choice? It is brand new in the crate- they want $1500 for it. Thanks for any advice!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks