• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP generator fuels

Ratch

That would be ideal. I figured with a cap with hole in it, junk would quickly fill it, but not as quickly fill the entire opening. But I've done the filter at the bottom of the funnel, and don't have the patience to sit there with it. Filter at the top of the funnel is just too much of a pita to keep stable.
But I've read synthetic is not good to burn, and all I use is synthetic, so I probably won't use any method to filter oil...

Ray70

I used to make my own biodiesel and I filtered the cooking oil with EZ bucket strainers made to fit in the top of 5 and 55gl drums.
They are available in a variety of mesh sizes from 600 down to 55 micron. Think they are about $6 each.
They also had a "Sock" that you could tie around the spout of a 5gl pail. They worked very well because you had a very large surface are to prevent clogging.
I would occasionally just zip tie an old white sock around the spout and pour it into another bucket, just be ready... a sock full of oil will stretch out pretty long!
Once the fuel was finished I pumped it out of the wash tank through a 10 micron "whole house" water filter.

Bo1

I also made bio-diesel for years. I think I will build a WMO filter similar to the one I had to filter my bio-diesel.
I had 2 metal 55 gallon drums turned upside down, and plumbed from the bottom into 2 separate oil filters. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight clear water pump, and plumbed it between the two drums, and "filtered" the oil from one drum to another. Also had it plumbed to pump the oil back into the original drum, so it could be filtered multiple times. It seemed to work very well, and cost little to nothing to make.

Ratch

I used to make my own biodiesel and I filtered the cooking oil with EZ bucket strainers made to fit in the top of 5 and 55gl drums.
They are available in a variety of mesh sizes from 600 down to 55 micron. Think they are about $6 each.
They also had a "Sock" that you could tie around the spout of a 5gl pail. They worked very well because you had a very large surface are to prevent clogging.
I would occasionally just zip tie an old white sock around the spout and pour it into another bucket, just be ready... a sock full of oil will stretch out pretty long!
Once the fuel was finished I pumped it out of the wash tank through a 10 micron "whole house" water filter.
That's very cool. I think that would have been ideal for me last winter, when I gave away 15 gallons of hydraulic oil that was contaminated with water. I could have waited until winter and filtered the ice out of it...

lonesouth

Rather than start a new thread, I'll put the question here.

What fuel has the best shelf life for an MEP-8xx? If I were to buy a 55 gallon drum of something, it could be years till it is actually used.

MtnSnow

In a good sealed container #2 diesel has a very good shelf life (multiple years!) In the actual fuel tank because it is not fully sealed I personally would recommend running the gen under load every couple of months for 30 minutes to an hour so you end up keeping fresh fuel being added to it over the course of a year.