• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP Generator Output Waveforms and THD

DD58

So let me be the “dumb” one in the room. Would a power conditioner correct some of the issues with “dirty power”? Or is there somthing else I can do either at the genset or at the end device. Say my tv or my ductless ac units?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much ado about nothing. If we are powering a 1.4 billion dollar Patriot Battery, or a Hospital using state of the art medical equipment, using Military gen sets, I really doubt that the power is very "Dirty".
Except we are discussing swapping the MEP-831a from an inverter running an extremely clean ~1.1% THD to a normal genhead which increased THD to 11.8% which is a 1000% increase in dirty power lol especially when the IEEE 519 recommends not using sensitive devices on anything higher than ~5% THD, obv what anyone does is up to them and the odds any damage caused would even be noticeable is low it is nice to at a minimum be aware and each person can make their own decisions.

In my particular case I have a nice clean producing 803a but was contemplating getting an 831a for shorter (few hours) power outages just to power lights, tv, router, pc etc and not furnace/ac so I don't waste the fuel/wet stack the 803a, I was just curious when the inverter inevitably dies and a swap is required how much of a loss of clean power would occur given the swap as to me personally I try to keep nice clean "fuel" to all my devices haha

Last edited:

Jeepadict

Except we are discussing swapping the MEP-831a from an inverter running an extremely clean ~1.1% THD to a normal genhead which increased THD to 11.8% which is a 1000% increase in dirty power lol especially when the IEEE 519 recommends not using sensitive devices on anything higher than ~5% THD, obv what anyone does is up to them and the odds any damage caused would even be noticeable is low it is nice to at a minimum be aware and each person can make their own decisions.

In my particular case I have a nice clean producing 803a but was contemplating getting an 831a for shorter (few hours) power outages just to power lights, tv, router, pc etc and not furnace/ac so I don't waste the fuel/wet stack the 803a, I was just curious when the inverter inevitably dies and a swap is required how much of a loss of clean power would occur given the swap as to me personally I try to keep nice clean "fuel" to all my devices haha
I've known some folks and read many threads where the house load is less than what would keep the 803 from wet stacking. Many have chimed in before to say that for purposes of back-up/stand-by power, short-term light loads are not anything to lose sleep about...these are "prime power" sets, and the wet stacking problems come from prolonged use (not hours, but weeks and months) at a light load. Any concerns about wet stacking from a temporary light load would be easily remedied by adding an additional parasitical load like an electric stove/range during emergency use or by doing a full-load maintenance run after the emergency has passed...this is also taking into consideration that the set has been ran and well maintained before an emergency arises. This thought process (tho some may disagree) is what has kept a few of my friends from downsizing their sets. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've known some folks and read many threads where the house load is less than what would keep the 803 from wet stacking. Many have chimed in before to say that for purposes of back-up/stand-by power, short-term light loads are not anything to lose sleep about...these are "prime power" sets, and the wet stacking problems come from prolonged use (not hours, but weeks and months) at a light load. Any concerns about wet stacking from a temporary light load would be easily remedied by adding an additional parasitical load like an electric stove/range during emergency use or by doing a full-load maintenance run after the emergency has passed...this is also taking into consideration that the set has been ran and well maintained before an emergency arises. This thought process (tho some may disagree) is what has kept a few of my friends from downsizing their sets. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I'm trying to talk myself into buying another set and you are ruining it lol

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Original post updated with waveform pics and THD for all generators with 3 KW load.
No surprises all pretty clean except 831 with gen head I don't think I've ever seen a single cylinder non inverter generator ever under 9% THD, all the crappy throw away portables (by this i mean the typical tube cage honda clone engine with an "insert name of place you bought it from here" sticker on it) I collect for no reason have the same issue.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No surprises all pretty clean except 831 with gen head I don't think I've ever seen a single cylinder non inverter generator ever under 9% THD, all the crappy throw away portables (by this i mean the typical tube cage honda clone engine with an "insert name of place you bought it from here" sticker on it) I collect for no reason have the same issue.

3600 rpm, open frame, box store generators are all terrible. This was a Honda-built unit I tested. I doubt off-brand is better.
50846607878_72bab2f373_o.jpg

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3600 rpm, open frame, box store generators are all terrible. This was a Honda-built unit I tested. I doubt off-brand is better.
View attachment 904645
they are indeed terrible but easy to buy for like $50 bucks a pop repair them (generally just lack of maintenance) and flip for $200 after a good wash, oil change, re adjustment of governor and avr pot and load test.

nextalcupfan

I find the timing of this post ironic since I just bought an oscilloscope to test my 803a.

For Reference my Street power waveform.
Street AC.png
Generator no load (Red L1 Yellow L3)
Generator AC No Load (Red L1 Yellow L3).png
50% load (about 6000w)
Generator AC 50% Load (Red L1 Yellow L3).png
100% load (about 12000w)
Generator AC 100% Load (Red L1 Yellow L3).png
125% load (about 15000w)
Generator AC 125% Load (Red L1 Yellow L3).png
All loads above are resistive heaters with a small fan (3000-5000w garage heaters)

And here is the waveform running my house with my 3ton Air Conditioner running.
Approx 35% load
Generator AC House Load AirCon Running(35%)(Red L1 Yellow L3).png

Defiantly a little dirtier with the house load.

Unfortunately I read the earlier post about calculating THD but don't really understand, if someone could gently walk me though it that would be appreciated so I can get those numbers too.

Last edited:

nextalcupfan

Here is another test I did where I recorded the waveform while my AC kicked on.

Results are interesting, here are the still images which I believe are in 100ms intervals.
1 Generator AC Waveform During AirCon Start (Red L1 Yellow L3).png
2 Generator AC Waveform During AirCon Start (Red L1 Yellow L3).png
3 Generator AC Waveform During AirCon Start (Red L1 Yellow L3).png
4 Generator AC Waveform During AirCon Start (Red L1 Yellow L3).png
5 Generator AC Waveform During AirCon Start (Red L1 Yellow L3).png
6 Generator AC Waveform During AirCon Start (Red L1 Yellow L3).png
7 Generator AC Waveform During AirCon Start (Red L1 Yellow L3).png
8 Generator AC Waveform During AirCon Start (Red L1 Yellow L3).png

I'm a little surprised with how much the voltages sags and spikes.
Min was 188v and Max was 270v.
That's quite a shift IMO.

2Pbfeet

These are great baseline data.

To the point that I think @nextalcupfan's images make, is what the generator is connected to can have a significant impact.

At the end of the day, it is the whole system, generator, wiring, load, that work together or not to give the final power quality under use. A generator by itself, or driving a load bank of resistive load is a baseline for THD in my book. Depending on the wiring and devices making up the power quality may be worse (e.g bad brushed fan motor), or better (due to EMI reducing equipment and circuits). I have seen both. Sometimes the judicious application of EMI filters on noisy equipment can make a big difference to the power quality of the whole system. But it isn't the grid with large numbers of loads averaging out the noise, together with large numbers of transformers, and phase compensators to keep the power quality and impedance within tight limits.

Some of the screamer generators can put out significantly better power with a some adjustment, and perhaps the addition of some EMI snubbers, but many have cheap, in all senses of the word, voltage regulation systems that don't keep tight limits on voltage, harmonics, or response to load changes. In my book, it depends on what you need the power for. 120V to run a $40 electric polesaw in the back 40, pretty much anything will do.

If you really, really need clean power, I think inverters are good, and so is an oversized isolation transformer. $$$

Horses for courses.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

DD58

These are great baseline data.

To the point that I think @nextalcupfan's images make, is what the generator is connected to can have a significant impact.

At the end of the day, it is the whole system, generator, wiring, load, that work together or not to give the final power quality under use. A generator by itself, or driving a load bank of resistive load is a baseline for THD in my book. Depending on the wiring and devices making up the power quality may be worse (e.g bad brushed fan motor), or better (due to EMI reducing equipment and circuits). I have seen both. Sometimes the judicious application of EMI filters on noisy equipment can make a big difference to the power quality of the whole system. But it isn't the grid with large numbers of loads averaging out the noise, together with large numbers of transformers, and phase compensators to keep the power quality and impedance within tight limits.

Some of the screamer generators can put out significantly better power with a some adjustment, and perhaps the addition of some EMI snubbers, but many have cheap, in all senses of the word, voltage regulation systems that don't keep tight limits on voltage, harmonics, or response to load changes. In my book, it depends on what you need the power for. 120V to run a $40 electric polesaw in the back 40, pretty much anything will do.

If you really, really need clean power, I think inverters are good, and so is an oversized isolation transformer. $$$

Horses for courses.

All the best,

2Pbfeet
So for the 831 with the conversion done, put an isolation transformer after gen set and then a line conditioner for each hot leg. Would that be worth it for sensitive electronics?

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So for the 831 with the conversion done, put an isolation transformer after gen set and then a line conditioner for each hot leg. Would that be worth it for sensitive electronics?

Unless you are running it maxed out + the sensitive electronics I wouldn't worry about it, the harmonics as you see with no load is about ~4% which is fine, it probably doesn't start distorting alot until under a 60%+ load, if you want to condition it tho obv will not hurt anything and everyone will have their own opinion so I'd just read each and do what you feel is best.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks