• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep generators vs low sulfur fuel

novaman

Been looking on here I see a lot of low sulfur vs trucks and equipment but not mep generators. I have an mep-802a and an Mep-002a just was asked the question by a friend how's those old diesels working on the low sulfur fuel. Any opinions on that? Thanks

rustystud

Engine Additives 002.jpgIEngine Additives 007.jpg Engine Additives 005.jpg I put an fuel additive in all my diesel engines, trucks and generators. Opti-Lube is one of the most top rated brands out there. I also use a fuel stabilizer. Pri-D is also the number one rated. Lastly I use a Bio-cide to prevent algae blooms in the fuel. I use Biobar as it works well with Pri-D and Opti-Lube. If you use these three products your diesel fuel will last for over 10 years in storage. I personally have used fuel that was stored for over 15 years with these products and it still worked great.

jimbo913

X2 on the PRI-D for storage. I have not used the algeacide products and have not noticed a problem yet, but I keep my stores in a building and I rotate so I never usually have any drum more than a year or two old.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also use biodiesel as an additive. A gallon of B100 will treat 64 gallons of diesel. Even at 1% it will increase lubricity of the fuel. Under 2% there isn't an issue with it damaging older rubber components. I add 2oz/gal to my pump fuel which comes out to about 1.5%. Its a cost effective additive for fuel that isn't sitting around. If I was going to store fuel I wouldn't add any biodiesel to it. I only add it as its going into the service tank for the generator or vehicle.

I'll have to check out optilulbe for stored fuel.

Keith_J

Fresh fuel is more important, these are injection pumps lubed by engine oil on the cam surfaces and distributor gear. Little lubrication demands on the fuel side. Other distributor type Bosch pumps have cam surfaces lubed by diesel, these have more issues using ULSD.

90cummins

By today’s standards the injection pressures of mechanically injected small diesel engines is low. The injection pressure of the Yanmar L70 and L100 is 2850psi.
However the injection pressures of today’s electronic diesel cars & trucks is in the vicinity of 30,000 psi but uses an entirely different technology.
Our small diesels can use older high sulfur fuel or today’s low or ultra-low sulfur fuel which is in most cases the only fuel available today for on road, home heating or off road due to EPA standards.

If older high sulfur fuel is used oil changes must be shortened.
I used Walmart Super Tech 2 stroke oil in my 1990 Dodge Cummins when the low sulfur first hit the market and that actually made my truck engine run better and quieter.

I bought this vehicle new and ran it for over 300k with no injection pump issues.
The only problem I had was a leaking injection pump seal because of a reaction between the old seals and new fuel. I replaced the seals and the problem was cured.

I eventually grew tired of adding the oil and just filled up with low sulfur diesel and never had a problem.

Quality additives won’t hurt and can help preserve the fuel.
If you have had good results using additives and it gives you peace of mind by all means do it!

90cummins

Rebel635

ULSD fuel due to low sulfur need to have lubricity added (thats what sulfur was for before). lubricity is critical in new direct injection High pressure fuel pump, not so much in older indirect injection diesels. Even minute reduction in the lubricity additives can and has caused high pressure fuel pump failures.

For this reason my Grand Cherokee diesel with the 3L mercedes V6 always gets Diesel Kleen additive. I'd rather pay a bit extra per filup to guarantee that the diesel will have the necessary lubricity needed.

I wouldnt worry about the ULSD from the standpoint of lubricity additive for the generators. I would add Pri-D and Bio-cite to treat fuel and prevent algea and diesel breakdown.

90cummins

I'm don't think he sulfur was intentionally added for lubrication it was found that when it was removed there were injection failures, that's when the lubrication qualities of sulfur were noticed.
That's my recollection but I won't bet my money on that though!
Perhaps someone here knows the facts.
90cummins

Rebel635

I dont think anyone specifically said that sulfur was added for lubrication purposes. Its presence allowed the fuel to be used as a lubricant. Removal of it necessitated the need to now ADD lubricant additives.