• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP? Oil Filter?

Westex

I purchased a 4.9 KW generator from a fellow member and don't know what I have. It runs great but I want to do an oil change. It is an onan generator and an Italian Yanmar one cylinder diesel with a pull cord and the compression relief lever on top of the engine. Data plate is obliterated, but I know it is an MEP model. There is no external oil filter at all. It is a small generator (300 lbs on data plate) mounted in a steel tube frame, like a skid. Is there a hidden oil filter somewhere?

Isaac-1

Could be a 3KW MEP-016D if it has a Yanmar L70 and no onboard battery tray, or a 3KW MEP-016E if it has a Yanmar L100 and onboard battery tray. Post photos and we can tell you which. The MEP-016D is a 016a/016c gasoline unit that has been retrofitted with a Yanmar diesel, the MEP-016E is a Onan Diesel 016b that has been retrofitted with a Yanmar diesel.

Lots of people claim higher output on these just because the military rates them so conservatively

Ike

p.s. the yanmars have a tiny semi cleanable oil filter screen that screws into the block next to the oil fill on one side. Google should be able to show you photos, note there is more than one style.

Last edited:

Westex

Could be a 3KW MEP-016D if it has a Yanmar L70 and no onboard battery tray, or a 3KW MEP-016E if it has a Yanmar L100 and onboard battery tray. Post photos and we can tell you which. The MEP-016D is a 016a/016c gasoline unit that has been retrofitted with a Yanmar diesel, the MEP-016E is a Onan Diesel 016b that has been retrofitted with a Yanmar diesel.

Lots of people claim higher output on these just because the military rates them so conservatively

Ike

p.s. the yanmars have a tiny semi cleanable oil filter screen that screws into the block next to the oil fill on one side. Google should be able to show you photos, note there is more than one style.
I sure appreciate this feedback. I suspected the cylindrical fitting with a lock screw (bolt) just to the left of one of the oil fills might be a screen or whatever. That's coming out tomorrow, armed with this knowledge. Kerosene and toothbrush time. Thanks again Ike.

Stu

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks