• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE CHECKS AND SERVICES (PMCS): Valve Adjustment?

fcbrants

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am about to put a LOT of hours on a MEP-806B that has ~ 460 hours on it.

The oil & air filters were changed @ 405 Hours, according to a hand written note on the air filter canister.

I've scanned though the TM, & specifically checked the "TABLE 4-3. UNIT PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE CHECKS AND SERVICES (PMCS)", but it doesn't mention anything about adjusting the valves.

I found a John Deere 6068 service manual dated 1993 & maybe updated 1997, so it might not be relevant to my JD 6068TF151A, C engine dated 5/2011, but it states that the valves should be adjusted at 400 hours.

So, my question is this: Does anybody know if, IN GENERAL, preventative maintenance on MEP units included adjusting the valves?

I checked the valve cover & didn't see any tool marks around the access plugs on the valve cover, indicating they had been removed:

IMG_0047.jpgIMG_0048.jpg

Aha!!

I just found this in the ARMY TM 9-2815-260-24:

4 M 1500 (ie, 1,500 Hours) Engine Valves Adjust engine valves at Direct Support maintenance level. See paragraph 4.7.2.

So, it looks like these valves need to be adjusted @ 1,500 hours & the entire engine should be pulled to perform the work:
4.7.2. INTAKE AND EXHAUST VALVE CHECKS AND ADJUSTMENTS.NOTEThe following procedures require complete access to the engine. Ifnecessary, remove engine from generator set, refer to TM 9-6115-672-14.Mount engine on repair stand (NSN 4910-01-016-1835 or equal) as outlinedin paragraph 4.10.a. Adjust.NOTESetting engine with No. 1 Piston at TDC Compression stroke is required inmany different maintenance steps and is not a stand alone maintenanceprocedure.(1) Set Engine with No. 1 Piston at TDC (Top Dead Center) Compression Stroke.​

I answered my own question, but I wanted to share what I found in case anybody else had the same question.

Cheers!!

Franko

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
another thing I will suggest about the JD motors, the rubber washers that go on the metal fuel line connectors, get enough of those to do the whole motor, not so much the injector to injector lines, but line at IP pump and the metal line for the filter to IP pump. I think a whole set is about $15.

IMG_0324[1].jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
At the risk of sound jaded, I will say that very rarely were the valves ever adjusted on these sets.

Why? Because getting at the engine is a Royal PITA. Having done this more than several times I will tell you to use WD-40 or something like it on ALL the screws and nuts you can see. Expect to break LOTS of screws. Do order 20-30, (at least) extra screws and the captive nuts. I NEVER managed to do this without breaking at LEAST 20- 30 of them off. Do get all the screws started before tightening up any part. You will understand what I mean by the time you are done. I only re-installed stainless screws. You will pat yourself on the back the next time you have to remove them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks