• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep spin on oil conversions

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually its the same for all spin on kits. You take the old filter off, clean the mounting position up, install the new gasket (with a little fresh oil), mount the spin on plate, screw in the attaching 'tube' and torque down to specs, then mount whatever filter fits and is available among the list furnished. I've installed one on my MEP-003A and sets on my various Deuces. If you can change a filter without having to watch a You Tube video for pointers, you can handle this!

nextalcupfan

I seem to recall someone on here being able to put a Wix 51515 Filter on his MEP-803a. That's probably double the capacity of the stock filter.

But it wasn't an absolute perfect fit and while it did work fine the conclusion we came to was to use an alternative filter in an emergency only, and use the stock filter whenever possible.

Edit: I just looked at your other posts and you have a 002a, so my statement probably won't be helpful....

Tpoole

Usually its the same for all spin on kits. You take the old filter off, clean the mounting position up, install the new gasket (with a little fresh oil), mount the spin on plate, screw in the attaching 'tube' and torque down to specs, then mount whatever filter fits and is available among the list furnished. I've installed one on my MEP-003A and sets on my various Deuces. If you can change a filter without having to watch a You Tube video for pointers, you can handle this!
Thank you! Do you happen to know or can you recommend a proper torque?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been too long since I did the generator, but I seem to remember it was in the range of 55-65 foot pounds on the deuce spin on filter setup (I have done five sets of these, and will be doing a sixth this spring). You want it snug enough that only the filter comes loose, not the adapter, when you change it. YMMV.

cuad4u

On 802A and 803A generators a Fram PH8 oil filter will fit and work on the standard filter mount. It is at least twice the length of the OE filter and I assume the filter media inside is at least twice the filter area too. If you do not like Fram oil filters, use any of the MANY others that will "cross" to the Fram PH8.

Chainbreaker

Here is the installation procedure as listed by GMG who also sells the oil filter spin on adapter kit for MEP-002a/-003a:

"Installation Instructions:
  • Remove original oil filter canister assembly.
  • Remove original canister-to-engine block seal and clean seal groove.
  • Clean center threaded hole with solvent or spray degreaser.
  • Lightly lubricate with oil and install the provided new seal into the groove on the engine block.
  • Install the adapter plate with the specifications text side facing OUT. Orient the flow-through holes with one at the top and one at the bottom (12 & 6 o'clock).
  • Apply Blue Loctite to the flat end threads and screw in the provided oil filter center threaded fitting with the tapered end facing OUT.
  • Tighten the center threaded fitting to 30 Ft/Lbs.
  • Lubricate the new oil filter (not included) seal with oil and screw on hand-tight.
  • Start engine and check for leaks."

Ray70

Depending on what type of machine or what filter conversion plate you are using will somewhat determine what filter you can use.
Both the 802/803 as well as the spin on conversions for the 002a / 003a all use 3/4 -16 threads.
Most of the spin on conversion plates are wide enough to accomodate ANY diameter filter up to a 4 1/2" gasket OD.
The Fram PH8A Wix 51515 , NAPA Gold 1515 and Motorcraft Fl-1A are all good candidates for both style machines.
Personally, I machine my own filter adapters for the air cooled machines I purchase and resell and I use NAPA Gold 1515 filters ( same a Wix )
But the adapter will accomodate much fatter filters, but I use the 1515 because it also fits my backhoe and both my old mustangs... So they are always "In stock" on my shelf.
Here's a few more equivalents. Or search any filter with a 3/4-16 thread. Anything with an anti drain back valve will help prevent the filter from draining back into the pan when she's turned off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks