• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep002 12v conversion

dstang97

Just wondering do you think a mep002 would start off one 12v battery? Also how would get 12v to charge the battery?

justacitizen

i have an onan djb generator that starts just fine with a 12 volt bat and it is basically the same engine. although i think purchasing another bat and keeping it 24 volt would be much cheaper and simpler than trying to find a 12 volt starter from an old onan and then exciting the gen head with 12 volts might not work either.

dstang97

i have an onan djb generator that starts just fine with a 12 volt bat and it is basically the same engine. although i think purchasing another bat and keeping it 24 volt would be much cheaper and simpler than trying to find a 12 volt starter from an old onan and then exciting the gen head with 12 volts might not work either.
Forgot about exciting the genset

justacitizen

That is good to know.Thanks. as far as conversion i think the engine controls as far as the safety system would work on 12 volt but you would need to source a 12 volt start stop solenoid too. maybe Tripplejim could make you a VR but that is a lot of VDC to dump prolly get hot. might be able to source a 12 volt stator from another DJ series Onan but my DJB doesn't use a VR to charge the batt.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This seems to be a penny wise/pound foolish(no offense) situation.

Another 12v battery is far cheaper than a 12v stop solenoid and 12v alternator to charge the battery and hoping that other circuits designed for 24v will work correctly.

The cost/benefit issues don't make sense to me.

Chainbreaker

If cost of buying a new 2nd battery is an issue, go to a wrecking yard. They should have lots of used batteries pulled from wrecks that are perfectly fine and are much lower cost than buying new. Just be sure to charge it fully before mating with your existing battery.

Triple Jim

There's quite a bit of 24v stuff in one of these. I don't think anyone has mentioned the fuel pumps yet, for example, and you'd need a 12v starter motor. I got the impression that the original post was asking if the 24v starter would work on 12v. Also, if you go through the schematic, you can find several 24v relays in the control box. I would need a lot of incentive to do all the work of converting one to 12v.

Guyfang

Staff member
I could be wrong, but a lot of the relays and other things will work on 12 volts. But not all, and why screw with something that works.

About the only problem I see, and maybe dstang is thinking about this,is when you need to jump the gen set off, you have got to have a 24 volt system to jump from. Not everyone has a M35, (or other truck) in their back pocket. If the gen set is all you have, jumping it could be a problem/hassle. OK, so you pull the battery out of your car. Then pull the battery out of the old lady's car. Then fab up some connecting cables to hook both batteries up together. THEN, at last you can hook up the jumper cables. Lot of work. That is about the only reason I might even think about it.

justacitizen

if it helps i am pretty sure that Tripple Jims VR can be used without batteries installed. also if you don't already have an 002A maybe you should look for a used Onan DJC or DJB.

dstang97

Pretty much was just pondering the idea. I’m trying to put together a mep002 and needs a new fuel tank. I have one for a mep003 but it would take up a lot more room. So I was wondering if the thing would just start off one battery.

Guyfang

Staff member
Pretty much was just pondering the idea. I’m trying to put together a mep002 and needs a new fuel tank. I have one for a mep003 but it would take up a lot more room. So I was wondering if the thing would just start off one battery.
There is such an animal as a 24 volt battery, as in single battery, that has 24 volts. The jeeps, and old small gen sets had them.

Below is a CURRENT listing of ALL batteries the Army uses, with voltage, and size listed. If you cant make heads or tails of it, I will try and make it a PDF, and attache it. Let me know something. There are several 24 volt batteries listed on the listing.

OK, there seems to be a limit to 5000 characters allowed in a post. The listing was 12,000. So will try to attach it.

That didn't work also.

How about this? Can you open it? Is it readable?

View attachment Battery quick ref list-A.pdf

dstang97

There is such an animal as a 24 volt battery, as in single battery, that has 24 volts. The jeeps, and old small gen sets had them.

Below is a CURRENT listing of ALL batteries the Army uses, with voltage, and size listed. If you cant make heads or tails of it, I will try and make it a PDF, and attache it. Let me know something. There are several 24 volt batteries listed on the listing.

OK, there seems to be a limit to 5000 characters allowed in a post. The listing was 12,000. So will try to attach it.

That didn't work also.

How about this? Can you open it? Is it readable?

View attachment 718188
Yeah I was looking at the 4hn but they want $200 for them

Chainbreaker

Wonder if 2 of the larger amp 12V lawn mower batteries in series would start a MEP-002a? They can be had for $35-$50 ea.

justacitizen

if it is just a space issue. you can reliably start an 002A with two of the heavy duty lawn mower batteries. just make sure your glow plugs and intake pre heaters are in good shape. i have even started an 003a with same batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks