• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 Governor Issues?

mitchsc0tt0

Hi All,
So I have had my mep002a for a few years now and its been pretty great. After the last storm we had here i noticed my injectors were acting up so i had them rebuilt and cleaned out the fuel system. Any how it was still acting up bogging down under full load 7000 watts about, so I tried playing with the governor adjustment (star nut) as per the TM but it doesn't seem to be doing anything it turns but doesn't look like its moving up or down? Also now it seems even worse and wont get off 55hz even with no load. I tried going both ways with the adjustment and still no difference. If i lift up on the IP linkage i can get it to rev all the way up.

Thanks! Always appreciate the help on SS!

Chainbreaker

Just to eliminate the obvious questions...

Are you saying by raising the Hz using the throttle control knob it won't even hold the RPM for 60 hz with no load? Also, are you using anything else (Kill-A-Watt) to verify Hz other than the panel gauge?

Is the linkage arm that passes through the sheetmetal cutout free & clear, no rubbing? Is the nylon keeper that attaches to the ball in good condition?

Where do you have the spring located on the worm gear? I checked 2 of my -002a's & spring end is about 1/2 down on worm gear & star nut is either at top or 1-2 threads down from top.

When is last time air filter was changed?

mitchsc0tt0

So that's maybe where i am getting confused is on this star nut adjuster / spring.
The Star nut if seems about 5 threads out from the top (but again if i spin it with my hand or use a screwdriver to tap on the edges it turns but doesn't seem to be changing threads (stays at 5). Is it possible it is stripped somehow or came off the threads? I am probably going to pull the fan shroud off this weekend since to try and figure out how the whole system is working and if i am missing something.

The spring (the one the is connected to the arm that the throttle cable pulls and the other end connected to the linkage with the star nut) it is connected at the bottom of that linkage.

Just to eliminate the obvious questions...

Are you saying by raising the Hz using the throttle control knob it won't even hold the RPM for 60 hz with no load? Also, are you using anything else (Kill-A-Watt) to verify Hz other than the panel gauge?

Is the linkage arm that passes through the sheetmetal cutout free & clear, no rubbing? Is the nylon keeper that attaches to the ball in good condition?

Where do you have the spring located on the worm gear? I checked 2 of my -002a's & spring end is about 1/2 down on worm gear & star nut is either at top or 1-2 threads down from top.

When is last time air filter was changed?

mitchsc0tt0

So this is at no load right now that i can't even get to 60hz. Its like the governor control system is messing something up after trying to adjust it. The throttle speed control cable is all the way out full speed (has the control arm at a 90 degree angle can't go any further hitting the oil lines to the oil cooler). If i manually push up on the IP linkage it will speed up but the governor pushes back down to try and slow it down.

No binding that i can see anywhere

Also from other members on here they say that the mep002a should be able pull 7500 watts.

Thanks,

Mitch

52 amps times 120 volts is 6240 watts, you are drawing 7000, or a little over 58 amps, or about 112 percent load. Could that contribute to your problem?

mitchsc0tt0

I do have an update frequency meter on and air filter looked dirty, but for testing i am removing it just to verify that's not the issue. I have a new on on order.

Ray70

Something sounds wrong with your star adjuster nut. The spring should be about 3 turns up from the bottom. If it is too high you will have too little Governor control ( and excessive droop ) and your throttle cable adjustment may also not be within the correct range.
When you move the star wheel adjustment your throttle ( engine speed ) will also change some because of the different lever arm length you have now created.
If you can turn your star wheel and the "threaded" section at the bottom where the spring is hooked on is turning ( try putting a mark on it to confirm movement ) then there is no reason why you should not be able to lower the spring attachment point.
In addition to turning it you can also pull the spring with pliers and physically hook it on lower if you have something in there that is not allowing you to adjust by turning.

mitchsc0tt0

So had some free time and took the fan shroud off to get a better look at everything. Come to find out the spring had completely come off the gear and was just attached to the bottom of the shaft. No idea how it happened can only assume vibration. Any how so I put the spring back on the adjuster and adjusted it up 3 notches as described and we're up and running great again pulled 7500kw no problem at all.

Thanks again for all the help out here!
Something sounds wrong with your star adjuster nut. The spring should be about 3 turns up from the bottom. If it is too high you will have too little Governor control ( and excessive droop ) and your throttle cable adjustment may also not be within the correct range.
When you move the star wheel adjustment your throttle ( engine speed ) will also change some because of the different lever arm length you have now created.
If you can turn your star wheel and the "threaded" section at the bottom where the spring is hooked on is turning ( try putting a mark on it to confirm movement ) then there is no reason why you should not be able to lower the spring attachment point.
In addition to turning it you can also pull the spring with pliers and physically hook it on lower if you have something in there that is not allowing you to adjust by turning.

Ray70

Nice work Mitch. With how bad those injectors were combined with the governor being messed up I can't believe you were actually able to use that machine at all
You should be good to go now, 7500W is pretty impressive for an 002, they usually max out quite a bit lower than that!

Chainbreaker

Nice to have a "no part required" fix isn't it! Sounds like you have a nice running unit to pull that much load.

By the way, what model year is your unit & how many hours on the Hobbs meter? Has it ever been reset that you know of?

mitchsc0tt0

1988 i believe and 1863 hours on the meter. No idea about it ever being reset. When i got it i had to do a bunch of work bad regulator board (replaced with the custom one from one of the members on here) and gummed up fuel system up to the IP and Bad Fuel Pump. Replaced all of those and its been a great item for the last couple years.

Nice to have a "no part required" fix isn't it! Sounds like you have a nice running unit to pull that much load.

By the way, what model year is your unit & how many hours on the Hobbs meter? Has it ever been reset that you know of?

Guyfang

Staff member
FYI...If it had gone through a reset there would/should be a riveted reset tag on it indicating entity that performed reset & yr.
Did not ALWAYS happen. Early on, there was no tag. Later, the MEL, Maintenance Expenditure Limit, did not allow the 002A and 003A to be reset. But they still kept them around. And some got "reset" by the units, or by silly contractors.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did not ALWAYS happen. Early on, there was no tag. Later, the MEL, Maintenance Expenditure Limit, did not allow the 002A and 003A to be reset. But they still kept them around. And some got "reset" by the units, or by silly contractors.
There is always an exception to every military rule!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks