• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 guage readings-need help to adjust

Bushwacka

Guys,

I have a GL Hollingsworth MEP002. After performing all the system checks,reading the TM, I got it started.

The instrument readings percent output is low. Engine running at 1800 RPM. Main breaker is off.

The frequency is: 56-57 hertz but % rated is between15-20 %. Voltage is set at 220v.

What do I adjust to bring up the frequency to 60 hertz and the % to 85-90%?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

Triple Jim

I'm not sure I understand. Assuming nothing is plugged into the convenience outlet, if the main breaker is off, the % rated current meter should be reading zero. To adjust frequency, you turn the big black speed adjust knob under the main control panel. To get the % rated current meter to read 85-90%, you need to have about 4,500 watts of load connected, and the main breaker turned on.

Isaac-1

Also those panel meters are not the most reliable in the world, it is best to double check them with a good quality external meter. The cheapest option for this is a Kill-A-Watt P4400, availble online for around $20, sometimes found in big box stores or Harbor Freight, but that is hit and miss.

johnray13

I may be off base here but I believe I read here that some of the frequency transducers (on the back wall of the control box) have an adjustment screw behind them so you can calibrate them to your DVM.

As to the % load meter, why would that read anything but zero with the main breaker off?

1800 Diesel

Guys,

Have a GL Hollingsworth MEP002. After performing all the system checks,reading the TM, I got it started.

Instrument readingspercent output is low. Engine running at 1800 RPM.Main breaker is off.

The frequency is: 56-57 hertz but % rated is between15-20 %. Voltage is set at 220v.

What do I adjust to bring up the frequency to 60 hertzand the % to 85-90%?

Thanks,
If the freq isn't 60hz, then the engine isn't turning 1800. Unless you have an external tach, the freq value is how you know the generator is being driven at the correct speed. If you verified engine speed was at 1800 with a calibrated or known-good external tach, then the freq meter or transducer has a problem. Like Triple Jim advised, rotate the throttle knob (clockwise to increase speed). Most folks set the freq above 60 to account for speed droop under load. Maybe 61-62, depending on how much load the gen will have to take...

Good luck with it.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please don't use black as a text color...it is very hard to read with the color schemes of our site.

Bushwacka

Guys,

Thanks for the great technical advice. I found the % load meter was indeed bouncing. As indicated, no load is no %. I was able to tune the frequency up as described, so thanks again for such time saving advice. Much appreciated. I apologize for the balck font-did not realize until afterwards.

1800 Diesel

Guys,

Thanks for the great technical advice. I found the % load meter was indeed bouncing. As indicated, no load is no %. I was able to tune the frequency up as described, so thanks again for such time saving advice. Much appreciated. I apologize for the balck font-did not realize until afterwards.
Good to hear you got her running at speed and producing the electricity. That's what its all about... :)

BTW, while doing work in the Norfolk area a few years back, I would take weekend road trips around the area. A couple years, I made it to the "Pork, Pine & Peanut" festival...at least I think what they called it...enjoyed seeing all the antique tractors and machinery...drove right by the Smithfield meat plant on the way...

Bushwacka

Good to hear you got her running at speed and producing the electricity. That's what its all about... :)

BTW, while doing work in the Norfolk area a few years back, I would take weekend road trips around the area. A couple years, I made it to the "Pork, Pine & Peanut" festival...at least I think what they called it...enjoyed seeing all the antique tractors and machinery...drove right by the Smithfield meat plant on the way...
Diesel 1800,

Glady you have been here. I say Smithfield is a small drinking town with a fishing problem.
In regards to my MEP002 reference the throttle adjustment. When I pull the knurled knob out, it should lock in about 1800RPMs......then I just turn the black knob to make small adjustments to the RPMs.....???? Sound right? Thanks again

1800 Diesel

Diesel 1800,

Glady you have been here. I say Smithfield is a small drinking town with a fishing problem.
In regards to my MEP002 reference the throttle adjustment. When I pull the knurled knob out, it should lock in about 1800RPMs......then I just turn the black knob to make small adjustments to the RPMs.....???? Sound right? Thanks again
Pull the black knob out about half way or a little beyond half way to get it started. Once running observe freq meter. If engine speed is too slow, then the meter won't read. (Too fast & the meter will be pegged or well beyond 60.) If close to 1800 you'll see a reading + or - 60hz. Once you "coarse adjust" by sliding the cable in or out, then use the rotating knob to complete final adjustment. Once set at that position, then leave it alone. You don't need to set it at every start up. On my MEP4s I mark the throttle shaft with a felt market all around the shaft against the nut when the engine throttle is set at 60hz. On these units, you can't close the doors unless the throttle cable is pushed back in. The mark on the shaft provides a repeatable accuracy "waypoint" for initial throttle setting during start ups....

On the air-cooled models you can leave it in place at the 60 hz setting. Just remember to set speed above 60hz (61-62 depending on load) to account for RPM droop under load. Each setting is unique to the load & type of loads. Obviously max load is when you want to verify correct frequency....

On the Smithfield, never got to do any fishing and tried to avoid the local bars...at that time my weps were not close....

Last edited: