• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 In m101

coyotegray

Ok, my plan is to mount a MEP002a in a M101a2 trailer with a deuce fuel tank in front. Install a muffler and route the exhaust toward the rear.

I want to roll up the front and back of the cargo cover when running but leave the top and sides on.

Does anyone see any issues with that configuration? Any suggestions..?

Thanks,
Andy.

mangus580

The only thing you might want to think about is the weight of all the fuel on the tongue. When the 002 was mounted on the M116 trailer, it was set about 18" in from the back. (eye measurement out the window) Basically centering the weight of the generator over the axle. Even sliding it back farther I dont think would be enough to counteract the weight of 50 gallons of fuel on the tongue.

coyotegray

I was thinking about that. 50 gal of fuel would be around 375lb.
Depending on how shifting the generator back would affect things it may be just a little heavy when full or I could just not full it completely unless it's stationary.

The Generator + 50 Gal Fuel + 100lb misc would bring the total weight to around 1435lb, just about the off road limit. This figure is from my 101a1 and should be about the same as an a2 I’m guessing.
Max tong weight on my Tahoe is 600lb. With the generator moved back some +375lb in fuel I think Ill be ok there.. I may need a front support leg I can jack up instead of the standard fixed one.. I think the a2 I have yet to recover has one with a hand crank.

I was thinking about using the existing in tank pump. See any problems with that..? Would it be too much as far a pressure..?

I could upgrade the trailer to a 105 but then I could only move it with a Deuce, not the Tahoe...

Thanks,
Andy.

mangus580

You will probably be ok with what you are planning.

As for the intank pump... no need. The MEP-002 has a 'aux' fueling setup. There is a float in the main tank that opens a valve when the tank gets below a certain point. It refills it using a 3rd electric pump. Basically connect the fuel line from the deuce tank to the aux port on the genset, and set the switch to use the Aux tank while running, and you will be good to go.

I would suggest a crank up jack as well. I know with the original position of the MEP-002 on the M116, you can just barely lift the tongue....

coyotegray

Does anyone know what the fuel consumption of a MEP-200a is at say 50% load..? I curious about what kind of run time I could get out of 50Gal...

Thanks,
Andy.

mangus580

If I recall.... (we are talking about the 002, 5kw, right?) the TM says it will use up the onboard tank in about 8 hours. So if you calc a gallon per hour... you are safe :)

coyotegray

OK, Bring on the ice storms, I’m ready..

Here is the end result.
I would like to change out the straps to something else but this will work for now.

With the QD I can switch from the on-board auxiliary tank to a 55 Gal drum easy...

My next step is to get a fuel gauge working..

Andy...

Attachments

maddog

OK, Bring on the ice storms, I’m ready..

Here is the end result.
I would like to change out the straps to something else but this will work for now.

With the QD I can switch from the on-board auxiliary tank to a 55 Gal drum easy...

My next step is to get a fuel gauge working..

Andy...
Man, thats purdy.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks