• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 mystical Shutter assembly

CDR

IMG_0727-1.jpg

My shutter door wont open. This seem to be what controls it. I have no idea what this is suppose to do and if it broken or not? No chance anyone has a spare one?

Attachments

glassk

TM5-6115-584-12

Figure 4-5. Adjusting Shutters Figure 4-6. Adjusting Thermo Unit

from upper shutter. Adjust ball joint until upper
shutter closes tightly on lower shutter when lower
shutter is held closed. Re-attach ball joint to upper
shutter.
(2) Thermo Unit be figure 4-6). With Generator
Set at 70° F, (21°C) loosen thermo unit guide mounting
screws, the mounting holes in the shutter box are
slotted. Slide the assembly to a position where the
thermo unit plunger rests on roll pins with shutters
closed. Tighten mounting screws.
h. Installation (see.figure 3-17).

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The piece that actually moves the shutters in and out works just like the thermostat in your car. You should be able to test it in some warm/hot oil and see if it moves. If so, then it is an installation/adjustment issue. honestly, you're the first person who I've heard of that one of these has actually failed. Most people say they were bad, but when they ran the generator fully loaded and build up enough heat, the shutters actually opened. It does take quite a bit of heat to open them.

CDR

The piece that actually moves the shutters in and out works just like the thermostat in your car. You should be able to test it in some warm/hot oil and see if it moves. If so, then it is an installation/adjustment issue. honestly, you're the first person who I've heard of that one of these has actually failed. Most people say they were bad, but when they ran the generator fully loaded and build up enough heat, the shutters actually opened. It does take quite a bit of heat to open them.
Ran it full load for an hour oil temps where reaching 240 degrees and it was about 95 in the area I was running it. I tried adjusting it with no luck

CDR

So I guess all the "hard grease" I scraped out of it was wax... Oops
"The secret of the thermostat lies in the small cylinder located on the engine-side of the device. This cylinder is filled with a wax that begins to melt at perhaps 180 degrees F (different thermostats open at different temperatures, but 180 F/82 C is a common temperature). A rod connected to the valve presses into this wax. When the wax melts, it expands significantly and pushes the rod out of the cylinder, opening the valve. If you have read How Thermometers Work and done the experiment with the bottle and the straw, you have seen the same process in action. The wax happens to expand a good bit more because it is changing from a solid to a liquid in addition to expanding from the heat."

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I don't think that was hard grease you were scraping away. Well, you have the privilege of being the first person I've heard of to have one of these actually fail. Good luck getting it back together.

Munchies

I have had some that open in 5 minutes and some just creak open after an 30. Think the amount of wax in there to expand decreases or becomes ineffective over time or something. I could use a few nos ones hmmm