• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 not charging batteries

Armada

I thought I remembered this being discussed before but ran a search and didn't find anything so I'll ask.
I've got an mep002 genset that will not send charge to the batteries. I checked the fuse to the battery charging alternator and it is ok. This unit has the ASK on it and will need to come off before I diagnose any further. The genset had been sitting a long time before I got it so I'm thinking (hoping), there may be some corrosion on some contacts that is preventing it from operating, like there was on the fuel shut-off solenoid. The genset had been overhauled with less than an hour on it so it's not likely the alternator is worn out, but anything is possible. The TM lists a couple checks to make, but before I tear the thing apart to get to the alternator, have any of you had a similar problem and what did you do to correct it? Hoping it's something common and easy like cleaning a contact. Thanks.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I probably can't be of much help, but I would check the ground for the voltage regulator first off. Then do an Ohm check of the stator windings before I started pulling blower wheels off. If you can get into the wiring easily enough you can even check the voltage straight off of the alternator before it enters the voltage regulator to make sure you're generating voltage. Just my 2cents.

Be sure to let us know what you find???

Nonotagain

Check page number 143 of TM6115-585-12 f(paragraph 4-27) for trouble shooting this unit.
"
(a) Tag and disconnect stator lead (1) frcm
stator at terminal block (3) Check between two stator
leads for approximately 0.6 ohms continuity. If open cr
shorted, notify higher level of maintenance. Check for
continuity between each lead and ground. If continuity
is found, notify higher level of maintenance.
(b) With the stator leads (1) disconnected,
check voltage across two leads (1) from stator. Voltage
should be in a range of 30–35 volts AC with the engine
operating normally at 1800 RPM. If voltage is less than
30 volts AC, stator on magnets in rotor may be defective.
Refer to higher level of maintenance for
replacement of stator or rotor. Reconnect stator leads​
(1)."

Armada

Check page number 143 of TM6115-585-12 f(paragraph 4-27) for trouble shooting this unit.
Thanks, already have that printed off. Prior to that section, the TM mentions removing the ASK in order to remove the blower housing in order to get to the 'battery charging alternator'. I posted the question thinking there may be a common failure with these 'alternators' that might be corrected without dismantling the whole front (or back) end. It's looking like an issue that no one has really tackled, more than likely because of the pain of tearing it open to get to the components, and because most guys have an MV with 24v's they can slave off of. I'm weighing those options myself... The next thing will be coming up with replacement parts for the alternator. Are parts even available aside from someone with a genset they're parting out? Does anyone have one they're parting out?
When/if I do tear into it and run the diagnostics according to the TM, I'll definately post the results.
Thanks

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Armada said:
The next thing will be coming up with replacement parts for the alternator. Are parts even available aside from someone with a genset they're parting out? Does anyone have one they're parting out?
When/if I do tear into it and run the diagnostics according to the TM, I'll definately post the results.
Thanks
I posted a while back about Delks Army Navy in North Carolina. I called and ordered a few meters for mine that I thought were reasonably priced. He told me on the phone that he has about every part you could need for these generators. I would give them a call about parts. Just my 2cents.

Delk's Army Navy Surplus_Home

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks