• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep002 not making electricity

Philratcliffe

Hi I have three mep 002s and two are down for fuel pump problems the third is running but not making electricity properly. These three gen sets aren’t self exciting the stator as they did originally so I wired a push button switch to the stator to momentarily exciting them then they worked fine. The one that’s running I have to keep 24 volts to the positive side of the stator wire constantly for it to make power it just started acting weird this am and has been running for several hours this way and hasn’t burnt up yet. I know a lot of car alternators need to have constant voltage to the stator to get them charging. Any idea what might be causing my problem ?
I’m sending in the stator from another 002 to be tested along with the diode card from the mep 002 I just received that has a bad fuel pump.
My third mep was running perfectly and making good electrical power but the fuel pump broke something inside it. I have another pump en route from delks so don’t want to molest a machine that was working fine orior to the fuel pump
Problem. Thx in advance for any help diagnosing my problem. Or do you think it will be fine to continually excite the stator to keep it making power. Thx again, phil

Last edited:

Philratcliffe

If you have to self excite, you have problems. Do you have all the TM's for the set? Can you read schematics?
im trying to get a copy of the Tm for it now I can’t open the attachment here on SS on my iPhone
no I can’t read the schematics. Unfortunately I’m in Colombia South America and the electricians here can’t read them either smh. He showed me how to connect a wire to one side of the two leads coming out of the control box to the stator to get it making power. I’ve been running both of mine like that for two years. I’ve had the stators on both of my 002s rewound but they are using wire from China so they don’t last more than about a year. I’m having corrosion issues in them I’m going to start dipping them in barnish myself going forward they have been using a paint brush to seal them but they do a miserable job of it. What is the best thing to use to seal the stator wires? I just brought down a third 002?two weeks ago, but it has a fuel pump issue as does one of my other ones I have a fuel pump in route and factory rebuilt fresh complete engine.
what should I look for as far as the unit not self exciting to start making power thanks for any help or advise you can offer

Last edited:

Philratcliffe

Turn the S1 (start switch) to the start position. Are you getting 24 VDC on pin 27 of the S1? If not, S1 could be bad.
I will check it tonight I have three mep 002s I know one has a fried s1 switch so I bypassed it. Does delks sell s1 switches. Thx so much for your help!

Guyfang

Staff member
The way it works is S1 in the start mode excites the Gen. Then, when you release the S1, the gen set is able to self excite itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks