• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEp002 oil filter spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

psu927

My mep002a was missing the spring and retainer out of the oil filter housing. I already have the filters, and don't want to spend the money right now on a spin on kit and was wondering what you guys have done to replace the spring? Shims? Sourced it online, or maybe someone has one laying around.

For those that do have them, how tight is the spring on the rod, and what exactly does the "retainer" do? (is it needed and can I make one?)

Thanks

jamawieb

I went to the local hardware store and bought a large spring and cut it down to about 1 inch. I didn't use anything as the retainer, just make sure the spring has a large diameter or you could use a washer as a retainer. I've seen some on E-ba recently.

Rapracing

Page 156 of TM 96115-584-24P shows the assembly. The spring is pretty stout to prevent blow by. The retainer keeps the spring from pushing through the filter element. It covers more area on the base of the filter.

psu927

The rubber washer goes between the filter and retainer, and the fiber washer goes on the outside of the housing right?

jamawieb

You are correct on the washers. The spring I used was about 1 inch in diameter and about 1.25 inches long (I had to cut it down to 1.25 inches). It has to be a stout spring, it can't be a light weight spring because you have to have resistance when your putting the filter on.

jamawieb

The purpose of the spring is to hold the filter tight against the block of the engine. If it's not there, the filter will just float around, letting oil go around it. I hope this helps you.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump for an answer and hoping someone has a spring laying around
I was letting this thread go until you posted that.

If you want to post a "Parts Wanted" ad, you need to upgrade your membership and post it in the classified section as per the rules of the site. Your questions about sourcing one and alternatives was answered but we cannot allow this to become a "Wanted" ad. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to close this thread

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to upgrade. Anyone can post a wanted ad. Unfortunately many wanted ads become discussions that should be in the forums.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might be able to find the spring specs on parttarget with the NSN or MS number.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to upgrade. Anyone can post a wanted ad. Unfortunately many wanted ads become discussions that should be in the forums.
Yup, you're right about that...I had forgotten. Anybody can post a "wanted" ad. Just not in the forums. Thanks for correcting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks