• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 runs but not right

oshpunit987

I got a new rebuilt engine last summer and mounted it. The paper work that came with it showed it was dynoed and ran good. Today I started it and it will not go up to the correct speed. The only thing I can imagine being wrong is the throttle cable needs adjusted nothing else was changed. I can bring the rpm up by moving the pump linkage but am afraid to do much with it because it runs so slow and may burn up the voltage regulator. Can the generator be unplugged so the engine can be adjusted to the correct rpm to keep from damaging the VR? Does any one have any idea what my problem is? I have the 3 TM's and can't find any thing about it.
Thanks
Allen :D

oshpunit987

With the throttle pulled all the way out it knocks a lot. I don't know what RPM it is making but I know it is too slow. When I first tried to start it it wouldn't make any oil pressure. I assume it had to fill the oil filter and fill the oil passages to make any pressure. When it did start it went up to 50 PSI.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Can't you just unplug the wire harness going to the control box? Special Ed is out your way, maybe he will see the thread and give you some pointers. I bet he could be bribed to maybe stop out and check it over.

oshpunit987

Can't you just unplug the wire harness going to the control box? Special Ed is out your way, maybe he will see the thread and give you some pointers. I bet he could be bribed to maybe stop out and check it over.
Thanks gimpy
I was wondering if I could do some thing like that. I assume the big plug on the back of the control panel is the one I unplug? Would I need to do any thing else or just start it and start tuning?
Allen

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That question was put out there for someone else to say "yes" to. I am not sure it works like that, I would like someone to confirm.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Allen,

Before you do much at all with it, you need a good tach so you can tell the actual RPM of the engine. More than likely the Governor needs adjusted and you'll probably be fine. The adjustment procedure is in the -34 TM section 7-3. But unless you are confident you have a good frequency meter or have access to a good external frequency meter you will need a tach to adjust it. If you don't have one or need help let me know and I can probably make it over to help out sometime soon.

oshpunit987

Allen,

Before you do much at all with it, you need a good tach so you can tell the actual RPM of the engine. More than likely the Governor needs adjusted and you'll probably be fine. The adjustment procedure is in the -34 TM section 7-3. But unless you are confident you have a good frequency meter or have access to a good external frequency meter you will need a tach to adjust it. If you don't have one or need help let me know and I can probably make it over to help out sometime soon.
Tom
The only thing I have to check stuff is a multi meter from harbor freight and it doesn't have a frequency meter in it. I made a copy of the governor adjustment procedure a few days ago but I don't really understand all of it. If you don't mind I would really appreciate it if you could give me a hand getting this thing running.
Allen:)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM inbound. We'll try to come up with a day I'm of work and we can get together.