• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 Starting problem

Harleyd315

I have an 002 that I cant start with the start switch. I have read all the previous threads and can't seem to come up with an answer to my problem. If I try to start the set the pumps come on, the glow plugs work but no cranking from the main start switch. I can use my remote starter switch directly to the starter and can fire up the set using the remote switch and holding the main start switch on the set. And the set runs fine and produces power. I have opened up the control panel and have power to K3 when I use the main start switch. The relay has 2 large wires and 2 smaller wires. 1 large wire has power to it, I assume the battery side of the relay. When I try the start switch I get power to the 2 smaller wires but not to the other larger wire (starter solenoid I assume). I checked the 2 smaller wires and removed them, the one is supplying power from the start switch and the other is dead. So the power on the second smaller wire is coming thru the relay itself. Do I have a bad relay or is there something else like a safety switch that I'm missing. I am having a little difficulty reading and understanding the schematics on this unit so any help would be greatly appreciated

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a bad oil pressure/starter disable switch.

Harleyd315

I thought from all the reading I did that the oil pressure switch was by passed when the main switch was in the start position, please correct me if I'm wrong as reading the schematics on these is a little bit above me. The relay does have a small wire I assume the exciter wire getting power with the start switch, just no power to the other large lug going out to the starter solenoid.

Harleyd315

After reading some other threads I figured out the problem. The starter lockout switch was the culprit. I took apart the plug and had no continuity on any of the pins. Took off the wing nut( couldn't get the cover off though) and was able to clean up the contacts on the switch and all is good now. Thanks for the help. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks