• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep002

big mitch

I recently purchased an MEP 002a at auction. It looks like I paid too much based on other threads here but it is a good looking machine. I still need to install the batteries and hook up a fuel tank before I can see how she runs.

My questions are these: Bolt heads on the generator are stamped 120m with EMP marked underneath. What does this mean? My unit did not have a fuel tank so I am buying an auxillary tank, I have found 3 fuel lines. Is it 2 return lines, 1 for the main pump and 1 for the aux pump and a single inlet? Thanks

vanderwoude

I paid 500.00 for my mep002A, maybe more than most, especially sight unseen; however, I am very happy with it, needed some trouble shooting - bad diode in starting circuit, one bad fuel pump, one shorted to ground through the resistor 24-12V (isolated) and no glow plugs. Got the proper glow plugs for the manifold - head holes plugged - would start without any. NOW listen up, when installed, even though they were getting 24V, it still took a good 30 seconds to start.
What was wrong was that the manifold is electrically isolated from the glow plug flange and the bolts that hold it on are isolated from the flange~! So, if you remove the gasket (which yours most likely has, the plugs can ground them selves and function. If you don't remove the gasket they should last for ever, still starting via the two in the heads.:grin:

Isaac-1

It sounds like you paid a fair price for this region, based on GL auctions the last year or so here in Louisiana it seems most plain mid hour showing single MEP-002a sell in the $500-$750 range, with apparent fresh rebuilds going in the $900+ range, and the occasional good one slipping through for a bit less. I paid just over $400 for one a couple of months ago that was showing just over 2,000 hours on the meter, which may have worried some potential buyers. Like most mine had various issues (bad voltage regulator transistor, and various meter problems), this is just part of the fun. Anyway welcome, hang around share what you learn, and ask questions when you get confused.

Ike

vanderwoude

Mine has 1880 hours on it, not much if you consider dividing by 24 hr, a month & a half of steady running does not compare with 20,000 they are meant for.
Have reconnection switch problem now, it is stuck at 3 phase 120/208, have squirted wd 40 around shaft a few times, am casting (of aluminium) a new handle, mine is missing, so is the pin that projects from the shaft. If anyone needs a knob, let me know and I'll cast a few extra and you can have them for the postage.

derf

I think you should have 1 fuel line feed the filters, 1 return line, and 1 aux line that takes fuel from an external tank and feeds it into the genset tank. There should be a float switch that allows the aux fuel pump to work, I think.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you should have 1 fuel line feed the filters, 1 return line, and 1 aux line that takes fuel from an external tank and feeds it into the genset tank. There should be a float switch that allows the aux fuel pump to work, I think.
No need to think about it, you are correct.

derf

I like to try and be clear. If I am not positive I try to say so in case someone is depending on what I post.
All can be verified with the TMs but sometimes a simple explanation is much better than in depth study and enlightenment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks