• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep002a/3a electrical clean up and fixes now

robkiller

So I have a few more questions

For Mep002a/3a series gens

So finally have all of my gens running strong.. now…

1. How do you determine the speed of the motor? Need to set max and min speeds
  2. Does the throttle need to be all the way at full to function right or just so the hz are at the proper 60hz?
  3. I have a hz meter that won’t move on one of the gens. What normally causes this?
  4. I have one gen that is not giving more than 60 v ac at the front plug and wont adjust with the adjusting knob. It also appears that it’s not charging the battery. Are these related or am I looking at a few problems? I know that means the dc regulator/stator is most likely bad but what else am I looking at for the ac side of it?

Thanks!

Triple Jim

1. If you have a Kill-A-Watt or other frequency meter, the engine speed is 30 x frequency (Hz).
2. Throttle should be set at 1800 rpm and left there. It doesn't have to be all the way out at 1800 rpm.
3. If you've verified that the generator is putting out proper voltage and frequency, then a non-functioning meter means the meter or the transducer or the wiring is bad. If you haven't, I've found that my frequency meter is very erratic if you're very far off 60 Hz, sometimes reading at the low end of the scale, and sometimes the high end, but not related to actual frequency. Once you're near 60 is works as expected.
4. Battery charging and AC output are not related, as long as the engine is running halfway close to 1800 rpm. Low AC output could mean bad wiring, a bad rotating diode, a bad generator winding, a bad transformer, possibly a bad regulator, etc..

Last edited:

robkiller

1. If you have a Kill-A-Watt or other frequency meter, the engine speed is 30 x frequency (Hz).
2. Throttle should be set at 1800 rpm and left there. It doesn't have to be all the way out at 1800 rpm.
3. If you've verified that the generator is putting out proper voltage and frequency, then a non-functioning meter means the meter or the transducer or the wiring is bad. If you haven't, I've found that my frequency meter is very erratic if you're very far off 60 Hz, sometimes reading at the low end of the scale, and sometimes the high end, but not related to actual frequency. Once you're near 60 is works as expected.
4. Battery charging and AC output are not related, as long as the engine is running halfway close to 1800 rpm. Low AC output could mean bad wiring, a bad rotating diode, a bad generator winding, a bad transformer, possibly a bad regulator, etc..
Thanks what leads or location do I check the hz? My meter will do that but I don't know the best place closest to the source to start testing the hz.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know on my o4A if you throttle full up you. Will trip over speed and kill engine until you reset it

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks what leads or location do I check the hz? My meter will do that but I don't know the best place closest to the source to start testing the hz.
If you have a multimeter that will measure Hz, just use the convenience outlet. It's close to the control panel and the safest place to do the test.

Isaac-1

Most often when there is a problem with (mostly cheaper) multimeters they will read roughly some multiple of the actual frequency, so if you see something like 189 hz you should KNOW that the generator is not running at over 3 times its rated speed, your clue here is that the pistons are still on the inside of the engine.

robkiller

So that makes since that 60 hz is 1800 rpm. That will help me get the speed right.

For low ac what would be the first thing you would start to check?

robkiller

I found the mep003a has a low speed setting of 300 and top setting of 2000
But i also found the mep002a says low of 1600 top of 2250

Is this a typo are they that different?

Any suggestions on what you would test first and how? To try and figure out why I am only getting 60 volts ac out of the front plugs?

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the mep003a has a low speed setting of 300 and top setting of 2000
But i also found the mep002a says low of 1600 top of 2250

Is this a typo are they that different?

Any suggestions on what you would test first and how? To try and figure out why I am only getting 60 volts ac out of the front plugs?
It is a typo. The governor should be set somewhere between 1600 on the low side to 2000 on the high side.

As for where to start, I would suggest the troubleshooting section of the -34 TM. Particularly page 2-10.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks