• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002a alternator

hedgehog69

My manual is at work...40 miles away.They run great and make electricity, but they don't charge the batteries. I remember reading about MEP002a's have alternator issues, but so far, I have not found the posts, nor been able to bring them up. I bought several of these lately and so far all 3 do not charge the batteries. trying to save myself a 40 mile drive today! Thanks!

JimH

mep-002a battery charging curcuit

There are a couple of quick things to check. There is a fuse on the back side of the fan shroud above and to the right of the oil filter. That might be out. Under the fan shroud there is a little rectifier-regulator that might have some corroded connectors, or some other problem.

That's the quick and easy. If it is not those things, it is more than quick or easy.

Jim

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a couple of quick things to check. There is a fuse on the back side of the fan shroud above and to the right of the oil filter. That might be out. Under the fan shroud there is a little rectifier-regulator that might have some corroded connectors, or some other problem.

That's the quick and easy. If it is not those things, it is more than quick or easy.

Jim

Jim,

You are absolutely correct. If it's not the fuse or a loose connection, 90% of the time it's the regulator. The actual stator doesn't go bad that often, though a few members have had that happen. The regulators don't like having the batteries removed from the set while running, so you can only guess what was done to the sets before you got them.

coyote62ny

you can test your stator as follows remove the blower shroud disconect stator leads with an volt ohm meter you should get approxametly 0.6 ohms across the stator leads if this checks out leave the stator leads disconnected and blower shroud off start your gen set run it up to 60 hertz and set your volt meter to ac volts you should get 30 to 35 volts ac across the stator leads if these two tests check out your stator is ok and the problem is your voltage regulator the stator leads are the only two wires that come out from under the blower wheel disconnect them at the terminal strip DONT RUN THE GEN SET MORE THAN 2 OR 3 MINUTES FROM COLD WITH THE BLOWER SHROUD REMOVED you will over heat the engine i had to get a new vr for my mep-003 140.00 for a new one you can call tom Badgett at gulf coast trucks office 1-281-422-3200 cell 1-832-323-1445 or delks surplus 1-336-629-0991 delks will have a vr used but i think tom will be cheaper i hope this helps you get them going

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks