• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002A Battery Indicator gauge

1800 Diesel

Just lit off an MEP002A & I'm trying to sort out a battery indicator gauge that reads low charge sometimes & other times reads nothing. Batteries are new & are being properly charged at 28.5 volts (per external meter reading across the two batteries with generator running).

Checked the TM and couldn't locate much info on the gauge or wiring. Opened up the control box and see 1 wire going to the gauge through a "rubber grommet". Can someone shed some light on this grommet-looking part in the wiring? Is there a resistor or something inside the rubber? Can the wiring be pulled out of the gauge for testing without damaging anything?

Maybe I just have a bad gauge but wanted to eliminate other causes of the gauge not reading properly while the batteries are being charged at the correct voltage.

Thanks,

Kevin

jbk

no resistor in the end of that wire you can pull it straight off. you could use the wiring diagram in the tm to trace were it goes and its condition. my money would be on the gauge ive replaced quiet a few some didnt work at all some were intermident.i get these for $35-$40 in new condition.

Jimc

yeah i replaced mine. guy on ebay has them in almost brand new condition for about $40 shipped. i do believe the gauge grounds through the mounting bracket so just make sure you dont have some corrosion there. other than that prob a bad gauge.

DieselBob

As has been said above it is most likely a bad gauge but checking the ground and the connection on the terminal bar would be a good idea. The feed for the gauge is on TB5-8 in the control box.

1800 Diesel

As has been said above it is most likely a bad gauge but checking the ground and the connection on the terminal bar would be a good idea. The feed for the gauge is on TB5-8 in the control box.
Thanks to all who replied. Took the gauge out & cleaned up the mount contact area & also checked voltage at gauge wire after removing (it unscrews) & voltage was 28.7. Reinstalled gauge and ran generator. Gauge is now reading, but staying in the yellow...I know that would be normal if the battery charge was low, but these are fully charged batteries....Saturday, I'll swap out a gauge from another unit before I buy a new one....or maybe Jerry can help me out on a good take-off.... :)

Thanks again for the assist!

Isaac-1

If you want a marine quality 24V gauge that fits the hole andreads in numerical volt range for the cost of shipping let me know by PM, I bought a lot of 5 or 6 of them for under $10 total a while back on ebay.

storeman

I have about anything you can think of that's attached to the engine except glow plugs (gone), but nothing left from control boxes except wiring harnesses.
Jerry

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks