• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002A cylinder numbering

OG

When adjusting valves on MEP002A, there are A and B marks on the flywheel. Which is the cylinder A? One closer to blower, or the other one?

Thank you

OG

johnray13

I have searched the manuals several times and cannot find a cylinder layout. However this illustration is the procedure for setting the timing mark on the flywheel and it shows setting up the dial indicator on #1 which is depicted on the flywheel end. I have read several post as saying the one closest to the blower wheel is #1. Is there another illustration that contradicts this one? Hence my confusion.

Thanks, John

cylinder #1.JPG

johnray13

Yes, that contradicts illustration 7-5 in the same manual. BTW, you have good eyes. I have read (skimmed thru) this several times, as people have said they read it but I never found it. I also believe Jimc (mep-003a teardown and refurb) in his first post refers to #1 as closest to the gen end.

Which is right?

John

Triple Jim

Not such good eyes, just the use of CTL-F in my PDF file viewer to search for "1 cylinder". :-D I think the illustration you posted was chosen to show how to use the dial indicator, and the editor who chose it wasn't thinking of which cylinder he showed, but that's just a guess, of course. And I could be wrong, but it looks to me like Jimc said "cyl number 1, from gen end..." because he wasn't sure which end cylinder number 1 is on. Having #1 at the opposite end from the flywheel is pretty standard for engines though. I can't think of an inline cylinder car engine that has #1 anywhere other than the radiator end.

But I'm doing a lot of guessing, so I pre-apologize if I'm wrong.

johnray13

I am no longer confused. Page 134-135 in the parts manual identifies the fuel lines to the corresponding cylinder. #1 is in fact closest to the blower.

I guess illustration 7-5 is whack.

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks