• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002a for sale locally

Heavyopp

So I've been looking at a MEP002 and finally had a chance to go check it out. It's mounted on a civy trailer. Trailer is in good shape. Generator has the quiet kit too. (ASK?)

Anyway, The guy was asking $1,999 for it. CARC paint is peeling which he supposedly has replacements. Generator wasn't warm and started easily. He didn't have time to prep anythng as I was a surprise visit.

To the sellers surprise the gen didn't make power. He was genuinely surprised. We fiddles with the main breaker and it made power for a few minutes till we tripped the switch and tried again. Sounds to me like an easy fix. Something has to be loose. Maybe need a replacement breaker.

The military voltage regulation equipment has been removed and replaced with solid state stuff. I don't really know the details except that it was done by the previous owner who used it as a rental unit. Supposed to have a schematic but I didn't see that either.

I offered the guy $1000 as is. He tossed it around a little and he said OK. He doesn't want to fix it. Made me feel like I offered too much.

Anyway, I left it there, told him to get all the extras together. I'd be in contact in a day or 2.

I know it's hard to say but anyone have any comments? Thoughts on what's wrong? Generally does the gen head go bad? I'm guessing it's in the main breaker.

Here's a picture to get an idea of the setup.

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

Carl_in_NH

There was no reason to replace the military regulator with solid state stuff - since it always was solid state and very easy to repair and maintain.

If he's done his own thing in terms of a regulator, you're on your own for support. Could be straight forward - using a commonly available regulator unit, but IMO there was never a reason to change it over. Sounds like it might have had an issue, and they didn't look too hard for replacement parts and just changed things over. Me, I'd stick with the stock configuration - but that's just me.

Heavyopp

Thanks for the replies.

I do remember the add saying that the stock stuff was taken out to make it idiot proof. I don't know how it's wired but the 3 phase stuff is removed for further idiot proofing. Those spilt nut connectors are supposedly disabled. It has a 240 volt receptacle along with 4 120 volt ones wired in

Unit has 700 hours on meter.

Attachments

Carl_in_NH

Well, it makes sense that he wanted to idiot-proof it and it was a former rental; there is a way to damage the regulator output transistor, by bringing the engine back to idle and running for a prolonged period of time. This regulator replacement may have been more rugged than the original in this regard.

If the ‘three phase stuff is removed for further idiot-proofing’, then I wonder if they sabotaged the reconnect switch for the generator output? This switch allows for selection of various voltage output configurations. If your only application for the genset is to run household stuff from a 240 VAC, three wire connection, then it might just be fine the way it is.

The only reason I show hesitation is because a lot of people doing modifications to something which they don’t intend to personally own and maintain themselves don’t show a lot of care when they do so – the person that does neat and thoughtful work is rare indeed. The changes they did may be just fine – look it over and the workmanship should tell you a lot about the people that did the work.

On a personal level, I’ve spent a good portion of my life either fixing or backing-out ‘modifications’ other people made to radio equipment – some very professional and well thought out, others, not so much. Examine the work that was done to the set and make your decision. YMMV.

Heavyopp

Carl, Thank you. I most certainly will open up that side of the machine and see what kind of workmanship went into the rewire. I too have spent many days undoing someones good intentions.

The generators intended use would be to provide back up power in NH. I have some land in Warner and my sister lives in New Boston. We would split the purchase. The gen would reside at her house, to provide backup power. She has lost power now 2 years in a row for 4 + days at a time. One day she's really going to need a backup.

Being that this gen is trailer mounted I could then use it for remote power on my land if need be. I have no use for 3 phase power. I own nothing that requires it. Sure I could see myself with a 3 phase milling machine and lathe but thats a while down the road. The idoit proofing of this gen, if it's done properly, would be of great benifit at my sisters house.

Thanks again for the reply. I'll contact the seller today for further inspection.

Jer

Isaac-1

I just wanted to say given everything you have told us about this the price sounds right for a known good running unit. If your going to leave it trailer mounted there was a good message thread on here a while back regarding transfer switches, cable connections, etc for trailer mounted generators.

Ike

Carl_in_NH

I agree - if the modification workmanship is reasonable and it runs well, then it's worth it.

Let us know if you need any help with it once you get to New Hampshire - you'll not be more than an hour away from my location when in Warner, and New Boston is half that far.

deucebigalo

I have met this guy that you are speaking of, I sold him a spare tire for a 101 trailer he has. I actually live about 4-5 blocks from him. Great guy I saw the MEP002a you are speaking of. He told me it was for sale, via eGay I wasn't interested in buying it but he at the time told me he used it for emergency power for I believe some medical equipment for his sick wife. Great guy to deal with, but not sure on the changes to the MEP002a, its possible he tinkered with it himself.

Heavyopp

Joe, Thats it in south river. I called and talked to him today. Says he ran it for over an hour after I left and it was making power. Something's got to be loose in the wiring somwhere. My guess is at the main breaker.

I told him I'd take it. He needs to get all the paperwork and parts together. Says he has like 3 books and a schematic for the rewire. I imagine the books are the military manuals.He also says he has some fresh body panels. He has them a replacements for the ones with peeling paint.

We'll see what happens. Supposed to pick it up saturday morning.

I'll post a few pics once I get it.

Jer

deucebigalo

Best of luck with it, it does come with that trailer too, right? The trailer would be good to sell and make some money if you planned on swapping the genny to another mil-trailer like a 101 or 116.

:grd:

Heavyopp

No glory on a Generator here... Guy's been avoiding me the whole weekend.

Just got an email --- Big storm caused power outage. Used the generator for 15 hours straight. No question about power generation. won't take anything less than $1,500.

I'll keep shopping.

There was no question that it didn't generate power when I saw it. Something is up with it.

I'm sure I'll find one.

Jer

PeterD

Classic seller's remorse... I'd email him back and say when he's really ready to sell I'd give him $750 for it. [thumbzup] Then I'd delete his email address from my address book, so his replies would be black-holed...

deucebigalo

We had a very bad storm like everyone else in the area, power went out saturday afternoon and didnt come back on until about 830am....im sure he used it while the power was out. We had major damage in the are due to the wind and flooding. I actually took water in my basement and as of right now I am trying to salvage a car that took on about 3 1/2 to 4 ft of water from a mechanics negligence......aua

croftonaviation

nothing is worse than someone who won't honor his word. There have been plenty of times I had to eat some crow because
of how I priced something, that's just life. Sorry you were dealing with a punk.

deucebigalo

The guy in mention that Heavyopp is speaking of is actually a good guy, at least that's what I thought, I had met him before and spoke for more than an hour, I believe he doesnt want to get rid of the generator for the price he quoted him...but like you say you should never go back on your word if a price was given he should sell it for that price. But also on the other hand scum bag or what ever you call him it is his property! I definitely am not sticking up for him but just offering my 2cents.

Heavyopp

I didn't take the seller as a scum bag at all. We did settle on a price. He didn't seem upset at it when we talked, In fact he said "that sould pay some of my bills".

My fault for not running home and getting the cash. I wanted to check here 1st before I jumped.

He's out of work, got plenty of bills, certainly wasn't rolling in money. I'm sure he'll come to his senses in a week or 2. Just need to get away from this storm. Maybe he thinks my home is without power.

Honestly, If I'm going to spend $1,500 on a Mep002 it's not going to be this one.

1st off I would want the military spec regulation and voltage controls.

Secondly thee is no question that this machine did not generate power for 30 minutes while I was there. Something is wrong somewhere. In the 30 minutes I was running the machine it made power for about 30 seconds. No reason why it started or stopped making power. It was like flicking a switch.

Give him a month, I'd bet he contacts me. I'm in no rush.

Jer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks