• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002A fuel filter canister needed

oshpunit987

I got an MEP002A back in February at Mechanicsburg, Pa and it had several problems and hasn't run yet. One of the problems was who ever worked on it last put the wrong fuel filter canister on the last filter and is actually too big and will not seat in the housing plus I have no idea what filter element it would use. Does any one have a canister they would want to part with? Here are a couple pictures of what I have. The filter on the far right is the wrong one.:)

Allen

Attachments

DesertRunner

Well now, that's interesting. I have been contemplating replacing my fuel filters with the spin on type, since the oil filter has already been adapted. I guess I'm not going for the original look.

The spin on adapter kit I was going to buy costs $20 would you be interested in one of the ones I'm taking off at that price?

The spin on Kit I am going to get is at tractor supply, you may want to go that way as well. Some adapter fittings will be required.
Jay
Fuel Filter With Metal Can - 3958383 | Tractor Supply Company

BTW I live about 1hr 20 min from you.

Last edited:

oshpunit987

DesertRunner, thanks for the tip. I checked out your link to the Tractor Supply filter and I would be interested in it. I'll slip over to Wheeling and check it out. I don't see in the picture how it would be mounted. Have you looked at the at the store? The original filters have a poor gasket in my opinion. I would have thought they'd be like what is on a semi diesel truck. They have a square like O ring in a grove in the top housing and they can be used more than once if need be and usually the gasket comes with the new filter element.

You might be closer than 80 minutes. I went to Home Depot at Washington a lot when I was building the house and it took me about 45 mimnutes.
Thanks again for the tip. :-D:-D

Allen

DesertRunner

DesertRunner, I don't see in the picture how it would be mounted.Allen
I was planning on buying two units, and using a 3/4 x 3" long pipe to join them. Then use a pipe saddle clamp, attach them to the plate where the original filters attached, then adapt the ends back to flare and use the original fuel lines on both ends.

There is a Fram and WIX cross reference for the filter that is included which are cheaper. Fram P9865 and WIX 24006

Jay

oshpunit987

Jay, I went to tractor supply this afternoon and they had 1 fuel filter like you mentioned and it took one inch pipe but 3/4 was available. The top that the filter screws onto measures 3 13/16 inch so 2 of them will be 7 5/8 plus about 2 more inches with the 3 inch nipple puts it at 9 5/8. There is only 9 1/2 inches available between the fuel strainer and the far right of the area where the filters fit plus you will need a bushing to get down to 1/4 inch pipe. The only way I can see it working is to have your inlet and outlet in the same position as the originals but then it will be difficult to secure them with a saddle clamp. I made a diagram of another way that might work, FYI. I think I'll do what Diesel Bob said and get one from Delk's. You have a good idea if you can make it fit. Do you have another way of getting them to fit? How long have you had your generator?:)

Allen

Attachments

DesertRunner

with the 3 inch nipple puts it at 9 5/8. Allen
If the 3" is too long a 2" should do the trick, or even just a short nipple and still have enough to clamp. If however I have to, I can move the strainer back by bolting it a piece of flat stock then attach the flat stock to the original mounting holes. (Necessity is the mother of invention)

How long have you had your generator? Allen
I picked mine up October 22, 2010 from Ft. Mead, Md. I originally planned on one for my parents place but they were not interested........ go figure. So now i'm planning on putting one in the garage, and prep the other for mobile use. If I'd had one last winter I could have made some money. We'll see how this winter goes.

Jay

oshpunit987

I made a trailer for a 15KW generator I had and sold the generator and put the MEP002 on it. Here are a couple pictures of it. It has a rebuilt engine on it now. I've made several trailers out of the spindles off the rear axle of Dodge Caravans and they work real well. I guess you could also mount your filters outside the verticle plain of the generator frame. Do you already have 2 generators?

Allen

Attachments

oshpunit987

Jay. Did you get those Tractor supply fuel filters mounted on your MEP002A generator yet? I got an original one off a guy in Texas and it isn't any good. If you got them on could you post a picture or email me a picture? I can't seem to win for loosing with this thing.:grin:
Allen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks