• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002a IP plunger broken

oshpunit987

Hi guys'
I have a problem with an MEP002a that I got at Mechanicsburg,Pa back in January. The last user apparently had problems with the injector pump as all lines were disconnected and the bolts were all loose. I took it off last week and took it apart and the plumger is broke off at the plunger drive pin and the rest of the plunger is seized in the head. Being called a plunger I assume it should move in and out freely. There was a set screw in the side of the head and it still wouldn't move when I took it out. Does any one have any ideas as to how to get it out or if it's even worth messing with? I thought about heating up the outer part of the head to expand it hoping to loosen the hole enough to push the plunger out. I read where some of you had stuck plungers and you took the delivery valve out and hit the plunger with a brass punch and hammer. I tried that but didn't hit it very hard. I also noticed the plastic valve spacer on the end of the delivery valve is chewed up. When I took the pump off there was a gasket still stuck on the block but there were no shims. I'm hoping what I thought was a gasket was the shims. Any way, does anyone know where I can get these parts, shims and valve spacer?
Thanks for any help.
Allen

PeterD

My experience with injection pumps is that when something freezes up, that's the end. Tolerances are very close, and you will not get the proper fit even if you got it apart. (then again, anything is possible.) Were this my rig, I'd start looking for an entire IP.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MEP-002 and 003 IP's are AMBAC model 50 pumps. Parts are still out there available, but they are not cheap. AMBAC has a repair shop in Michigan somewhere, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the place. I have the AMBAC parts breakdowns here at the house. If you're coming over next week I'll make sure you get them. Also, the -34 TM has a pump exploded view and rebuild procedures in it. I believe it's here on the site in the resources section. TM 5-6115-584-34 is the one you'll need.

washingtonmountains

I just opened my IP up yesterday and that little plastic bushing was half gone in mine as well. I had it up and running but no fuel is returning to tank. Now I have a solinoid or starter issue.
There is a place in Auburn, NY D&W diesel I'm going to give them a try to see if they have parts for the pump.

epitts

Head

If the plunger is broken and stuck in the head you would be better off getting a rebuilt pump. Per AMBAC the plunger and head are a match set and 3-4 month lead time at 850.00 per head. My plunger was stuck but not broken, so I was able to rebuild the pump. There a guy on ebay selling rebuilt pumps for 250.00. The dog bone looking part was broken in mine also.

storeman

If there were no shims, you need no shims. The shims go with the engine block, not the IP. (This assumes the previous "mechanic" did not remove shims from the block.) Of the 13 engines I've toyed with so far, only 2 had any shims, so they are not common, in my opinion.

I may be able to help you with an IP. jerry@queenscreek.com
Jerry

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks