• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep002a not putting out 60hrz

kipman

I fired up my mep002a that came from WPAFB, picked it up on Monday, runs great, had new oil and full of fuel, any thoughts on a little problem, showed putting out 60 hrz once, then nothing, did not matter where the rpm was set. will check the tm when I have more time, thanks.

Carl_in_NH

Is there really output from the generator? In other words, is it just an instrumentation problem for the frequency meter - or is the generator not putting out any voltage? What does the output voltmeter say?

Carl_in_NH

Then it's likely just the transducer or meter that reports the operating frequency at fault. You can get the parts if something is defective - but they are spendy. Check all the connections first.

If you don't mind modification from the original state, there are inexpensive digital frequency meters you can get from eBay and build into the panel - but you will have to make sheet metal modifications to do so (at least based on the size of the openings required for most units I've seen).

Isaac-1

Hardy Diesel sells a nice little LED frequency/volt meter with a standard 120V plug on the end off ebay for about $20 (search term: voltage frequency meter), several people over on the smokstak board including myself have bought them. One nice thing about the meter is internally it is labeled as working from 50-300VAC, some of the people over on the smokstak board have wired them in with their L-L / L-N instrumentation switch and have confirmed they do read 240V ok

Ike

p.s. another cheap option is a Kill-A-Watt availble from all sorts of sources again around $20

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with Spedmon, he may have what you need. If nothing else, he likes talking gen sets!

kipman

Did not try using any power, I was in a hurry, slaved it from the 1009, followed the start procedure, it read 60hrtz the first time, played with the unit, started and stopped several times, after the first start up, hertz meter would bounce at far left, it could be a simple thing, have not had time to run it for long yet.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the freq meter (reed type?) was bouncing at one end, could the frequency simply have drifted off beyond the freq meter range? Maybe the meter is still ok, just the frequency too far off to read.

Did not try using any power, I was in a hurry, slaved it from the 1009, followed the start procedure, it read 60hrtz the first time, played with the unit, started and stopped several times, after the first start up, hertz meter would bounce at far left, it could be a simple thing, have not had time to run it for long yet.

eisenhe

Disclaimer -- I'm an electrical engineer, but have no MEP-2 experience...

The frequency should be driven by the engine RPM, and most electronics are not terribly sensitive. If you're getting power out, chances are you're close enough to 60Hz. If you're concerned, plug a clock in and run it for an hour -- if you only see 59 minutes on the clock, you are at 59 Hertz! I suppose the same could be done with a second hand over a minute too...

Good luck!

jbk

try going in and out with the throttle and see if the hertz meter moves. also any harbor freight has the kill a watt meter that will give you the hertz reading. just dont go above 130 on the volts with it. be me i would buy a meter first you dont want to go below 55 hertz to long on these sets the vr goes to full output and will fail soon after.

Isaac-1

If your running it at half throttle you have bigger problems than the frequency being off. Running these units at anything under 1800 rpms for more than a few seconds is very likely to burn out the voltage regulator. They are designed to be started and immediately run at 1800 rpms (1800 rpms = 60 hz power on 4 pole alternators like yours)

Ike

jas67

If your running it at half throttle you have bigger problems than the frequency being off. Running these units at anything under 1800 rpms for more than a few seconds is very likely to burn out the voltage regulator. They are designed to be started and immediately run at 1800 rpms (1800 rpms = 60 hz power on 4 pole alternators like yours)

Ike
Is it possible to disable the voltage regulator altogether when troubleshooting governor or other engine issues?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible to disable the voltage regulator altogether when troubleshooting governor or other engine issues?
Anything is possible!! But I would be inclined to disable the VR and the Bridge board as well. Which could prove to be quite a chore as the bridge board is not the easiest to get to. But you should have enough time to run it for a little bit to do any troubleshooting you need to do. A lot of the troubleshooting that would need done can be done with the set off. And then run for final checks and adjustments.

I talked to Kip just a bit ago. He's probably got some loose or dirty connections somewhere in the frequency transducer circuit as he told me it's working again. I'll be going over to his place within a week and we'll go over the set pretty thoroughly at that time. He's pretty excited because he's got a pretty nice set for a great price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks