• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep002a phase connection switch

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I had a stuck switch on my mep002a. Didn't see the thread about soaking it and tapping, and wound up breaking the shaft. Then to add insult to injury, I pulled it out, causing a complete disaster inside the switch. I was able to get another switch from SCSG's parts stash- however it is different! The one in my set the tabs are threaded, and in the 'new' one they are just holes. I started to go along and write wire numbers onto the new switch, until I ran into different lugs. It is oriented correctly.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the new switch? Or would mind opening theirs up and snapping pics?

Only other thing I can think to do is find another or hardwire the set for 120/240.

Thanks in advance!15914021765443370715164463582660.jpg15914021974626491269607547368957.jpg

Ray70

If I recall correctly there are wiring schematics for both style switches in the TM. I know I've seen them before, but luckily haven't needed them.
FYI, stuck switches are very common on the 002 and 003. Usually loosening the rods that retain the switch into a single unit and spraying some cleaner/lubricant between the sections, then persistent jiggling and all of a sudden the switch will usually turn. Not sure what causes it, but feels like something inside hits something rather than bypassing it.
Once you get it in the position you want LEAVE IT ALONE!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I looked in the TM some but must have missed it. I will look again.

Yeah, I loosened the rods and lubricated it, but wiggled too hard I guess. It was stuck on 120 when I got it, and need it on 120/240.

cuad4u

I live in St Matthews about 25 miles away from you. 8-9 years ago I bought, repaired, and resold many 002 and 003 generators. I kept 3 for my use. Many of the generators had stuck reconnect switches. I was able to get each one working again by doing what was stated on the thread you found too late. It took more than a week to get some of the switches working but with time and patience it can be done. I do not have any more parts for these generators. Good luck. I wish I could find any more 002 and 003 generators to restore. I am now retired and have the time.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Open the TM 5-6115-584-34. PDF reader page #91. There are the two switches depicted. Look at yours, and see what manufactures number you have, and follow the yellow brick road.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Open the TM 5-6115-584-34. PDF reader page #91. There are the two switches depicted. Look at yours, and see what manufactures number you have, and follow the yellow brick road.
Thanks for the direction! I will look it up and print it out, see what's what.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in St Matthews about 25 miles away from you. 8-9 years ago I bought, repaired, and resold many 002 and 003 generators. I kept 3 for my use. Many of the generators had stuck reconnect switches. I was able to get each one working again by doing what was stated on the thread you found too late. It took more than a week to get some of the switches working but with time and patience it can be done. I do not have any more parts for these generators. Good luck. I wish I could find any more 002 and 003 generators to restore. I am not retired and have the time.
Thanks, yeah I swear I looked and did find about loosening the bolts and soaking but not the tapping the end with a brass drift or screw. I just wiggled too hard or someone before me started the break in the shaft- either way thanks all for the help I will get it right tonight.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh man... I printed out page 91 and the page 98... Cuad4u, you might get a cheap MEP-002A when I smoke this thing...

I think I can follow along but there are lots of terminals with the same number, and not all seem to be jumped together...

I'll give it my best shot!

Guyfang

Staff member
Take your time.Dont drink beer while doing it. Check everything twice. Then one more time. Its not hard. Just be cool and take your time. Make it neat. If I could do it, you can.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take your time.Dont drink beer while doing it. Check everything twice. Then one more time. Its not hard. Just be cool and take your time. Make it neat. If I could do it, you can.
I will take my time, just looked pretty overwhelming first glance.

I'm guessing if a wire is at lug 8 on one switch, it needs to go to lug 8 on the new switch.

cuad4u

Good luck! Take your time. If all fails, you can replace the whole box if you can find one. This will take less than 15 minutes. The box has the CT's and reconnect switch and a lot of other "stuff". When I repaired 002 and 003 generators, the boxes were common as were new or rebuilt injector pumps etc. Now if you can find one, they are pricey on ebay if you can find one. Maybe someone on this site has a whole box for sale. I still have a few spare parts for the the one 002 and the two 003 generators I saved for my use. If you need a whole box I will dig through my stuff to see if I have an extra spare.

Chainbreaker

You guys got Trains, Trucks, Tanks etc... WHERE did I go wrong! So Jealous... :drool:
Not to hijack this thread, but Ray's lust for Big Boy Toys reminds me of my unexpected encounter with some serious big boy toys that include... "horses (not the iron-horse kind), tanks & trains"...

Several years ago I reluctantly agreed to haul one of my wife's horse's to a riding clinic, pulling a gooseneck horse trailer through some of the worst Bay Area traffic, to what I thought was "just another horse barn" in California that ended up with a very impressionable surprise!

This clinic was being held at a place in Portola Valley, Ca with a nice horse barn & arena that also happened to have miniature replica steam trains running on tracks all around the ranch estate property (very cool), plus a "BIG" ship propeller that just happened to be from the "RMS Lusitania" (mighty cool) and some tanks.
Well not just "some tanks" but the mother load :tank::tank::tank: of restored tanks in the worlds largest private collection of tanks (way beyond cool!).

It was certainly a fun surprise to have stumbled upon! Sadly, this "one of a kind massive tank collection" was broken up after they were donated in Mr. Littlefield's will after his passing with some later being auctioned off. However, all his beautifully restored tanks now continue on amazing others as displays in smaller collections:

Note: If you click on the "Exhibits" link in the above page it shows how nicely the tanks in the Littliefield tank collection are now displayed in very authentic depictions of their battlefield engagements. I hope to be able to one day visit this museum if I'm every up that way.

Edit: Added links to Trains & Lusitania propeller

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, after looking at everything till my eyes crossed, I got it figured out. Now I just have to sit down and do it.

I bought brass nuts and bolts, and some lock tight to hopefully keep the nuts from backing off due to vibration.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will let you know how it goes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks