• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep003 problem

Walt4653

HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP, HAVE A mep003 INSTALLED A NEW DISTRIBUTION BOX, AND WHEN STARTED I ONLY GOT POWER IN L1 , no power on OTHER LUGS, MAIN SELECTOR SWITCH SET ON 120-240 sing phase, control panel switch on l 3-l1 single phase same as my other 10 KW. ONLY HAVE POWER ON L 1. COULD I HAVE MIXED UP DISTRIBUTION BOX HARNESSES , AND IF I SWITCH THEM WOULD I BURN OUT SOMETHING.
DURING THIS PROCESS I CHANGED OUT THE CONTROL PANEL THINKING IT COULD BE THAT, AND STILL ONLY GETTING POWER ON ONE LUG. SETTINGS ARE CORRECT ,
WHEN RUN I HAVE 60 hz, 120 v ADJUSTABLE ON VOLTAGE KNOB,
SETTINGS SEEM NORMAL
THEN I SHUT GEN OFF MOVED MAIN SETTING SWITCH TO 3 PHASE GOT VOLTAGE ON L 1 + L2 ONLY. SHUT MACHINE DOWN.
CAN ANYONE HELP?
THANKS WALT

?ON THE WIRES THAT CONNECT TO DISTRIBUTION BOX.

Walt4653

Dist.box is brand new old stock, breaker is on, set for 220 sing phase, switch on control box is at 1 -l3 - l1 normal function for gen. Get 120 v at l 1 between lo an l1 no other voltages on l 2 or l3. Have 120 on plug both receptacles
i have another working 10 kw, I move the selector switch between voltages an on different settings I will get power on all 3 legs on 3 phase, if I set to 120 sing ph. Only get power on l1 or 220 sing phase only get power on l1.

Could I have got plugs on dist box wrong. Both are the same, but need to go correctly in the right spot., and if I move them could I burn out something.

The dist box is new, control box came off working unit, wireing seems good,

Triple Jim

I assume the engine is not loaded hard and blowing smoke to indicate a short, so it sounds like you need to use a meter to check the output right at the generator itself, then move down the path toward the output lugs one step at a time, and see where you do and don't have power. The problem should make itself clear at some point along the way.

Walt4653

I assume the engine is not loaded hard and blowing smoke to indicate a short, so it sounds like you need to use a meter to check the output right at the generator itself, then move down the path toward the output lugs one step at a time, and see where you do and don't have power. The problem should make itself clear at some point along the way.
Engine is not loaded not blowing smoke, but what would the procedure to ck lugs, I have power on L 1 when set to 220 sing phase only, using lo to L1. L2 and L3 have no power. Receptacle has 120 v.

I have power on 2 lugs switched to 3 phase. Tried a 5000 w heater and noted 100% power used. When heater is on my other 10 it usually reads about 35-37% power used.
killawatt meter reads 60 hrtz and 120v on receptacle .
im dumbfounded.

RayK

Have you recently banged on the selector switch? It sounds like that switch might think its always in the 120V mode when its in either single phase position..

Walt4653

Have you recently banged on the selector switch? It sounds like that switch might think its always in the 120V mode.
I did not bang on switch, I actually had a used control box that I know works and put it on trying a process of elimation, same result, the question I have is could I have mixed wires that go to distribution box, ( same plug) and would it run, and if I switched them would I burn out something?
Walt

Triple Jim

As I understand you, the convenience outlet has power, but L3 does not. The schematic shows the convenience outlet connected to L3, so it does sound like the big reconnect switch or something after it is not passing the output of T3 at the generator head, which passes through wire X3A8, to terminal L3 of the reconnect switch. The convenience outlet working means the power is making it to the input side of the switch, and if it's not on output lug L3, then the problem is either the switch or a missing/wrong wire coming out of the switch, or something wrong with the L3 pole of the circuit breaker.

As I said above, use a meter to verify that power is getting to the L3 terminal of the reconnect switch, then see if you have power at the L3 input terminal of the main breaker, then see if you have power at the L3 output terminal of the breaker. When you've done that, you'll know what's wrong (I think... if I'm not misunderstanding something.)

Last edited:

Walt4653

As I understand you, the convenience outlet has power, but L3 does not. The schematic shows the convenience outlet connected to L3, so it does sound like the big reconnect switch or something after it is not passing the output of T3 at the generator head, which passes through wire X3A8, to terminal L3 of the reconnect switch. The convenience outlet working means the power is making it to the input side of the switch, and if it's not on output lug L3, then the problem is either the switch or a missing/wrong wire coming out of the switch, or something wrong with the L3 pole of the circuit breaker.

As I said above, use a meter to verify that power is getting to the L3 terminal of the reconnect switch, then see if you have power at the L3 input terminal of the main breaker, then see if you have power at the L3 output terminal of the breaker. When you've done that, you'll know what's wrong (I think... if I'm not misunderstanding something.)

Jim, I followed your steps taking the BRAND NEW UNOPENED BOX FROM THE MILITARY APART, STARTING WITH THE FRONT COVER, CHECKED THE WIRES, SEEMS TIGHT, TOOK THE TOP LUG PANEL APART TO GET A VIEW OF THE BREAKER, NOW REMINDING YOU THIS IS A BRAND NEW DIST BOX UNOPENED , LO AND BEHOLD ONE WIRE ON L 3 IS COMPLETELY OFF AND L 2 THE NUT IS MISSING, ( WE MUST HAVE SONE GOOD INSPECTORS IN QUALITYCONTROL, ) TIGHTENED ONE NUT REPLACED THE OTHER, AND IT MAKES ALL POWERSELECTIONS.
THANK YOU , AND ALL WHO HELPED SOLVE THIS PROBLEM. GREAT GUYS ON SS, WHO KNOW ALLMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT GENERATORS.

Walt4653

Jim, on running this genset, I noticed a small oil leak from a tube that seems to go in the head, seems like a spring on bottom, is this easily fixed or do I need major surgery.
walt

Jimc

Are you talking about the pushrod tube? Take a look at pg3 of my teardown and refurb thread.

Last edited:

storeman

Tube is likely offset a bit or has no o-ring (s) at the base. Can be reset by removing the valve cover and loosening head bolts, if you can't shift it by hand. If it is cracked, I have several you are welcome to for cost of postage. E-mail me if you need one. "jerry@queenscreek.com"
Jerry

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks