• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep003A generator advice

Professor

I have a chance to by a MEP003A genset . 4 cylinder Onan diesel . It has new batteries and runs well but doesn’t produce power. What are some checks I can make to make sure it isn’t junk ( bad rotor, field coils etc. ). Guy wants $500.00 for it.Says he hasn’t looked into why it won’t produce power. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Glenn

pmramsey

Get a TM from this website and read it; it is a good place to begin. THEN, ask your question again.

Chainbreaker

If engine is running well as you said, for $500 I would buy it. The injection pump alone would be worth that on eBay! If you have the time and patience parting it out could yield ~$1k-$2k. Zero risk of getting $500+ since there are plenty of parts to harvest.

Of course you're really wanting a working generator in the end. There are multiple things that could prevent unit from producing AC output. Could be something as simple as the AC reconnection switch contacts not making good contact (NEVER EVER turn that switch behind the panel covering it while unit is running!), bad rotating diodes, exciter issue, bad Voltage Regulator board, loose wire, bad transformer, fried component on a board, and on...

If you were to purchase the unit members here can suggest easiest to more complex tests to perform to find out where the problem actually lies. There really is no one test but a series of elimination tests that can take a while to run through.

One thing you could do is post good pictures here for members to assess the units over all condition as a first step. I would focus on the gen head, control panel inside & out, AC reconnection box and wiring harness as a start. Since the engine is running well maybe just a couple of shots of it. Also a shot of the MFG placard with date would be good.

Chainbreaker

Also, how many hours on the Hobbs Meter? BTW, that placard is original (inspection stamp is there) and its a 1988 vintage. They were produced up to 1992 so that's a fairly late model in the overall production run.

From the pictures you provided of the one side it "appears complete" & mostly original except for the single spin on WIX filter setup & the grey paint job with overspray. If you have easy access to take more pictures... take closer photos of both sides and ends.

Also, there are 3 large slotted head aluminum twist lock type captive fasteners at the top of the control panel faceplate. If you take a large flat blade screw driver and rotate all 3 about 90 degrees CCW the face plate can be opened up from the top and it will lay down flat secured by its internal tethers. Once open take a look inside & take close up photo's & post back. How does it look inside? Are there any parts missing...screw holes & loose terminal wires hanging down or cut? Any component items laying loose inside? The TRC transducer that feeds the Hertz meter is sometimes found missing (robbed or defective).

Regardless, in its current condition its definitely worth $500+ and I would say "jump on it" with both feet! If you were to decide that you don't have the time, skills or inclination to mess with it I'm sure there are other SS members here that would be interested in giving it a good home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks