• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep003a generator surging

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats part of it... these sets are DESIGNED to run at full output, for as long as you have fuel. Their optimum burn parameters are under this load set, so the chemicals in Seafoam will work better if the set is up to its proper running temperature and conditions. 50% is better than nothing though.

Prettiboinippy

Ok. Well I'll try to run a full load or close to it as possible tomorrow. Should i grab another can of seafoam and just dump it into the fuel tank just to have extra to circulate through the system?

Chainbreaker

When I use seafoam I like to put a can in the generator's day tank, not Auxilliary tank if using one, and run it in the evening under a load for about an hour (this allows the Seafoam to mix and get distributed through to the ck valve, IP, injectors, pistons/rings, etc. and then I shut it down to sit overnight. Then the next day I run it under a good 75-100% load for ~ 6 hours and do it again the next day until near empty or my aux tank kicks in at ~1/4 tank & refills.

My "theory" is there is some solvent action with using Seafoam that will work best when distributed through the system & left to soak overnight and then getting engine up to temperature at 100% load to burn off any deposits plus burn dissolved impurities in the fuel.

Anyway, that's the way I do it and so far so good.

Prettiboinippy

Thanks for the advice and yes that is what im doing when i let it sit over night so then the seafoam has a chance to soak the fuel lines and injectors and all to break down any deposits of such.

Ray70

Glad to hear it's running good now. I doubt the old fuel canister gaskets were the issue ( you mentioned fuel filter but I assume you changed both filters again? ) because a leak there or at the copper washers on the retainer bolts would result in fuel leaking out, not air getting sucked in, but regardless of the source of the problem it sounds like you're in good shape now!

Prettiboinippy

Yes i did went ahead and changed oil both fuel and oil filters again. And yes it was running fine yesterday. Gonna start her up in a bit and let her run for an hour with almost a full load on.

Prettiboinippy

Well nevermind. Now the generator is surging alot like I had been doing last week to where it wanna dies out everytime it does it. And the power keeps cutting on and off also everytime it surges down. I dont know what else there is to do at this point.

Prettiboinippy

Well nevermind. Now the generator is surging alot like I had been doing last week to where it wanna dies out everytime it does it. And the power keeps cutting on and off also everytime it surges down. I dont know what else there is to do at this point.

Chainbreaker

If you could post of video from startup to surging it might provide some clues that someone might pick up on as to what the nature of the problem is. It would be good if you could temporarily open the "close to run" shroud that covers the fuel shutoff solenoid to show its movement while running for a while. Also the sound aspect may provide clues as well.

Prettiboinippy

I've tried to post a video in the beginning but it keep saying that the file is too large. I even cropped it down to a 3 second video and was still too large of a file.

Chainbreaker

I've tried to post a video in the beginning but it keep saying that the file is too large. I even cropped it down to a 3 second video and was still too large of a file.
Go to this Help thread and post what you are doing to "download the video" and see if someone can help or walk you through the procedure.

Edit: Clarification that "Website help forum" suggestion is for obtaining help with the issue related to your posting/downloading the above video error message you encountered.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Good afternoon, I have a mep003a generator that is recently started surging and wanna cut off. I see the governor arm keep moving up and down to adjust for the fuel. Any idea for me to troubleshoot or fix this problem? I've recently changed the fuel filter and air filter and oil changed along with filter. Also changed out the o rings also. After a few days later I went and put seafoam through the fuel system and had it run for an house with over 50 percent load and was doing fine. Then the next day after letting the seafoam soak over night, had it ran again for an hour and was doing fine. Then the third day, cranked it and within half an hour, the surging came back. Thank you
I took the liberty of cut-n-pasting your cross-posting from you later thread posted today 7/22/2020. This is so we can provide addition help in your original thread.

Anyway, what you are describing from your description as "surging" may be "hunting" of the governor.

Go to the Technical Manuals (TM's) at the forum home pg. and find the manuals for your MEP-003a.

Last edited:

Prettiboinippy

I took the liberty of cut-n-pasting your cross-posting from you later thread posted today 7/22/2020. This is so we can provide addition help in your original thread.

Anyway, what you are describing from your descriiprion as "surging" may be "hunting" of the governor.

Go to the Technical Manuals (TM's) at the forum home pg. and find the manuals for your MEP-003a. In the -34 pdf manual there should be a section in there (it is on PDF pg 102 Section 7-3 a,b,c of the MEP-002a manual, it should be on a similar pg for the MEP-003a and the procedure should be the same, but use the correct manual for checking that adjustment.
Ok thank you so much for doing the cutting and pastingbof my cross post. Im still trying to get a hang of this whole posting on forums and navigating through it.

Chainbreaker

Here is the page for the MEP-003a manuals you want, in the -34 manual its on PDF pg 105 section 7-3 b.c.3

Edit: Also go to above PDF pg 107 and refer to the diagram, in particular item # 16 for adjustment per the procedure.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks